Monday, August 5, 2013

Preparting for Departure - Part 1

First, I have to apologize to those of you who sent me your email address so that I could email you when I post. Although I have the list, I haven't set up the gmail group yet, but I will add that to the list! This week has been all about preparing for departure and my orientation next week. I fly to D.C. next Sunday to meet with all of the ELFs (English Language Fellows) for about five days. This training is supposed to equip me with what I need to know during my stay in Uganda. When I return, I will have one week and then I am off on my adventure. So, I need to maximize my time this week to get things done.

Here's what I have done so far:
  • Apple purchases - My MacBook was four years old and my Ipad three, so I know it was time for an update on Apple products. Missouri has an amazing tax free weekend every year and Apple always gives something away with purchases for teachers/students. So, I bought a MacBook Air and an Ipad mini. I am waiting for cases, so I haven't really broken them in, but I love, love, love both purchases. And I also have $150 credit in the apps store, so I can play all year! 
  • Met with the former ELF  and her husband in Alton last Saturday. I can't believe the fellow that was in Uganda last year lives in Carlinville, IL - about 30 miles from where I currently live. What are the odds? I loved meeting with her and getting the "scoop" about my job. She gave me a lot of helpful advice and answered all of my questions. She also had lots of pictures to share with me through Facebook, so it was exciting to actually see where I will be living and working.
  • Caught up with an old high friend - I really enjoy catching up with high school friends and it was so cool to meet up with Mandy when she came through town. It is amazing how much life we have all already lived. So thankful for those moments!
  • Renewed my license plates - This was a fairly painless process, but I did have to dig through some receipts to find my proof of paid property tax. You would think that Missouri could somehow digitize this process. I also had to get new plates because they couldn't find mine, which I think is weird, but I have changed my name a few times over the past few years, so I guess that's what happens. Thank God my parents are storing my car so my dad will deal with all of those details.
  • Extended my library card - The library is St. Louis city is AWESOME! We have access to digital material and they have an amazing amount of online content. Even magazines are free to borrow on my Kindle. There's only one problem - you have to renew your card on your birthday every year by showing a piece of mail or driver's license to prove you actually live in the city. For me, this would come up next March and I wouldn't be here to prove residency. I could not even wrap my head around not having access to a library while I am gone. So, I called the library and they said come in, it should be no problem. I went into the library and  I told them what I wanted, but the socially inept library worker looked at me like I had the plague. Surely I am not the only one who has asked this question. So, he gave me the number to customer service downtown and I proceeded to call them. Long story short, they made an exception and I have my library card extended through next June...yeah! Now, I can stay current with all of the awesome new books - when I have internet!
  • Inquired about Vonage service - I have a DOD (Department of Defense) friend who lives in Kuwait City who has been giving me a lot of advice during this whole preparation process. We are going to actually be in the same time zone, so at least I will know one person on that side of the world. I really wanted to have a U.S. number so that my family and friends could get a hold of me. Truth be told, it's more for my parents than for me. I want them to be able to call me and I don't want to pay an arm and a leg. Vonage uses an adapter and an internet connection to allow me to call anywhere in the world from a U.S. number. So, I called them today and will order the service before I leave. They have a thirty day money back guarantee, but it starts from the date of order, so I'll wait to order it during my last week. The adapter is free, but I'll have to pay about $36 a month. Definitely worth the money for my family to have some peace. 
  • Made dinner for my sis/brother-in-law - If we are facebook friends, you know my sister had a baby last week. I am absolutely in love! She is the most perfect baby I have ever seen and I know that I am not biased. Seriously! Check her out - super adorable. Anyway, I made lasagna, cookies, salad, and bread to help them out. I can't imagine the responsibility it takes to raise a child. I am so lucky to be able to hold her, snuggle with her, and then go home and sleep peacefully. My sister and brother-in-law are already amazing parents to little Ella and I can't wait to see her grow and change through Skype this year. I'm sad that I will not be able to see her in person, but I know we will be able to remain connected.
     
  • Checked out reading materials - I ordered some reading materials to help me be more informed about my upcoming adventure. I saw them in the circular that the library writes each month and thought they might add to my knowledge base, plus give me some good reading material while sitting in the airport next week. Have you read any of them? Any other great suggestions?


    I still have a lot to do this week. Here is my list so far. I know the list will get longer and longer when I get back from the orientation. Did I forget anything?
    • Haircut
    • Spend time with baby Ella
    • Organize and label stuff
    • Ship boxes of school supplies to embassy
    • Load all of my music onto Itunes
    • Update my blog address list

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...