Wednesday, August 7, 2013

CDC's Mission - Scare Jamie Straight!

I made the mistake of checking out the book, CDC Health Information for International Travel 2014, from the library to read before departing on my trip. This was a very stupid move on my part because I am already paranoid about getting sick and this book just increased my fear. I am not a fan of drugs and almost did not get the vaccines (except some were required).

Maybe I should fill in the background about my health history...I've NEVER been sick. Well, I did have dengue fever when I lived in Puerto Rico in 2001 and a blood clot in 2010, but other than that, I've had nothing...no surgery, no broken bones, nothing. And I am a huge, huge baby. When I get sick, I want my mommy to cook chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles and take care of me. I want to soak in a hot bath with a glass of orange juice next to me on the ledge. That is not going to happen in Uganda...well, maybe by Skype! So, needless to say, I am nervous about getting sick, especially stomach issues that will deter eating. I LOVE to eat! Most people think my motivation to be very active is to remain healthy, but really it is to eat! I am very sure this is my parent's fault, but I love to cook and eat everything. Other than peas and egg yolks, I love almost all foods. Having a tolerable stomach and adventurous spirit, I have eaten off the streets in Haiti and from several little old ladies all over the world. But I know that people get sick. In fact, when I met with the former fellow, Becky, last week, she was just recovering from schistosomiasis - an waterborne larval cercariae found in contaminated bodies of freshwater and enters by penetrating the skin. That's right, penetrating the skin. So, if I go swimming or wade through FRESH water, I could get this parasite. Awesome!

My favorite thing about this book is that it has these little maps that show the epidemic levels of various diseases. Just in case you don't know where Uganda is, it is bordered by South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Lake Victoria. If you look for the Lake, Uganda is the little country above it in east Africa.
Now, on to the stupid little maps. Apparently Uganda has a bulls eye right over it with the nearly the highest percentage of almost every disease.
So, as you can see, Uganda is in the hepatic-intestinal and urinary risk.


Malaria

Hep B - At least it is in high intermediate (not worst)


Hep E - I know, I've never heard of this either. Of course Uganda is highly epidemic!


HIV - 15%-25% of population

Hep C - highest



So, to prevent all illness and stay healthy, my best friend suggested I get this probiotic. Apparently Joe thinks that it help me. So, today I am off to buy every preventive medicine I can find to stay healthy. Any tried and true suggestions?

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...