Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pre-Departure Orientation Day #3

Today was the day to discuss health issues while abroad. So, if you're squeamish or don't want to hear about personal issues, avoid reading this blog.

First, let's talk about the toilet situation. I love this picture because the toilet on the right is a western toilet and one that I have used my WHOLE life. The toilet on the left is a "squat" toilet or a toilet on the ground. These are found around the world, but I have to say, I've never used or even seen a squat toilet in real life. Based on the advice of some of the other fellows who have been in the peace corp or who have used these toilets, my biggest concern should be peeing on myself. So apparently I need to practice squatting while I pee!
Then, we had a session today about staying healthy abroad which included information about malaria, various diseases, and food. The doctor recommended some strategies to prevent getting malaria. There are several medicines available and I am taking Doxycycline, which is about 50% effective. Now, I am not really a gambler and I don't like those odds. The fun thing is that my options are a bit limited because most of Africa (including Uganda) is Chloroquine resistant and some areas are also Mefloquine resistant. This makes taking medicines very tricky.
The doctor today recommended to take the medicines, but also to take insect precautions by using insect repellant with 50-60% DEET. I also have a mosquito net that I will use every night. I do have screens on my windows, but apparently I need a mosquito net too.

After the malaria discussion, we talked about traveler's diarrhea, which I will supposedly get several times. The doctor recommended that we just let this run its course. One fellow asked her how we would recognize if we have traveler's diarrhea (which I thought was a stupid question) and the doctor told her the "anal leakage" will be a good indication. Crapping in my pants seems to be a rite of passage for teaching abroad. If this disgusts you, think about having diarrhea while using squat toilets...yep, it's going to be awesome.

We also talked about food precautions including boiling water, avoiding uncooked/raw foods, and unpasteurized dairy. Now, most of you know that I LOVE to eat. I absolutely love to eat. I know that is my mom's fault, but us Cardwell girls can eat! I never remember getting sick except when I went to Santo Domingo and briefly in Haiti. But I ate everything - street food, food from family, homemade drinks, etc. But this doctor recommended NO salads and only fruit I can peel myself. Lovely. I am just going to take it easy for the first few days and then try one fruit and vegetable at a time. Hopefully, I can adjust. If not, I have three doses of Cipro.

I also learned my flight plan today. I will make stops in Detroit, Amsterdam, Kilgali, and finally in Entebbe. I really wish I had more time in Amsterdam and Kilgali to explore the area, but that is the flight plan. I think I will be very tired by the time the embassy comes to get me at the airport.

After the sessions tonight, I ran at the gym, went to CVS, and sought out some food. I needed a few things and snacks at CVS and I was surprised that you have to pay .05 for every plastic bag. I walked past an organic Chinese restaurant that called my name. I ordered vegetables with brown rice and it was delicious.
I came back to the room and ate my Chinese while watching the Cardinals game. What a great end to a wonderful day!

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...