Friday, August 30, 2013

My Home

I must say that life here is very posh and must more comfortable than I expected. Don't tell the other Fellows in Africa, because I think I hit the jackpot here in Uganda. I have a two bedroom apartment at the end of campus. This is good because it is away from the main traffic, but bad because I have to walk a bit to get to my classes. I guess that is also a good thing! My apartment came partially furnished with some food.
 This is my bedroom. The bed is made here on campus and the cover on top is comfortable and very soft. The mattress is very hard, but I think it is good for my back. I am trying to get used to sleeping under a net, but I feel like I am in prison every night. I know the net is up for this picture, but I keep it down "full time" according to the advice from one of our IT staff.




This is my living room. I have two loveseats and a chair. My favorite part of this room is the pictures from home and the wooden coffee table.
Bringing pictures was a very good idea as you can see! I am so thankful to everyone for giving me pictures and frames. I still need to hang a few, but I am excited to be surrounded by my loved ones.

 Sorry for the stuff on the chair. Things seem to accumulate in my living room because that is where I have the most furniture.
This is my kitchen. I have a brand new refrigerator and stove. The stove is gas, of course and works really well. I have not explored the oven yet and it might be an interesting experiment since there is no temperature gauge.
 This is my bathroom. Sorry for the flipped pics, but I can't get them right side up. Notice the drain in the corner for my shower, which you can see in the next picture.
 Yes, that is a towel over my window. I should get a shower curtain rod and a curtain soon. Water pressure really sucks, but I have hot water!

This guy was outside of my front door. Roosters usually wake me up before my alarm, which reminds me of my time in Puerto Rico.
 This is my front yard. I am very lucky to have such an awesome area to wake up to every morning. When I came home the other night, it was dark and I had to use a flashlight to see the sidewalk and door lock. When I shined the flashlight on that cement part, there was a large black money sitting looking at me. I nearly had a heart attack. I will try to get some pics of the monkeys soon.
This is the front part of tech park, where my apartment is located.
Another picture of my kitchen.
 This is outside of my apartment.
 My apartment: T4.
 Another outside of the apartment.
 And again. Sorry, just trying to give you a view of my little oasis. This gives you a better view of the blocks of apartments. I think there are eight two bedroom apartments.
 Plants outside my apartment.

 Tech Park

My backyard - which I am avoiding until I am brave enough to sit outside with the snakes and mosquitoes!
 My water heater :)
I not only have a water heater, but we also have a generator on campus which kicks on within minutes when the electricity goes off. This means I have hot water all of the time!
 I am not sure what type of birds these are, but I thought they were cute.
Door leading to my little outside area. That sink is my washing machine, lol. Those are clotheslines hanging in front of my door. The little door is to my gas tank - notice the lock on the wooden door.

I guess that is all for now. Many more pictures to come! Hope you are all doing well!

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...