Thursday, August 29, 2013

Travel Days!

Hi Everyone! Yes, I did title this blog post travel days because I am traveling for several days to get to Africa. 8,000 is a LONG way! I started out my day with a run in Francis Park. This is one of my favorite parks and it is just a half of a mile from my house. After my run, I had breakfast with Joe and Jenn. Joe made baked french toast and an amazing quiche! It was absolutely delicious.

Then, I headed to my sister's house because my parents planned on meeting me there to take my car. I am going to store my car at their house over the next year. I was able to hold baby Ella for a while and then mom and dad took me to the airport. Two of my three bags were overweight, but the guy was really nice and let them slide. I did have to pay $200 for the third bag, but I expected that because I took excess baggage. As I was saying goodbye to my parents in the security area, my mom got a bit teary eyed. I had really done well with goodbyes thus far, but seeing my mom and dad cry is not easy. I am definitely a sympathetic crier. Security went fine and my first flight this morning to Detroit went off without a hitch. The plane was really tiny and very full, but I had an exit row, so that flight was enjoyable.

The flight from Detroit to Amsterdam was less than enjoyable. I was seated next to a crying two year old, but the personal tvs helped to drawn him out. Actually, I met a really nice family from India who are now living in the states, but were going to Europe for vacation. I also met an American girl who was visiting her boyfriend and his family in Amsterdam. Everyone is really nice. I mean to take a picture of the food, but I forgot.

This is the plane I am taking to Amsterdam.

Right now, I am sitting in the airport in Amsterdam waiting for my next leg. I bought a cute keychain and water because there are no water fountains here. I thought it was interesting that the shop asked me for my boarding pass before I could make my purchase. Apparently that charges the right tax, or something. My new credit card with the chip works so I was excited about that.

There are some slight differences that I noticed throughout my time here at the airport.
1. You must present your boarding document before buying something in any of the shops.
2. Water is very expensive and there are no water fountains.
3. Money must be placed in a little plate when paying for something, not in the person's hand.
4. There are no lids on toilets.
5. Faucets are turned on from left to right instead of up and down.
6. Many, many women cover their heads in all different ways.
7. People carry their carry-on luggage on these little shopping card deals.
8. When using wifi in another country, the webpage appears in the language of the country.
9. Secondary screening takes place inside the terminal at the gate where you have to remove all liquids that you just bought in the airport to enjoy. Then, you go into a glass cage and wait to board.
10. "to go" is "to take away"

The food on the KLM flight was delicious and came often. They also offered free drinks at any time. I really think this was a premier airline.

It is Wednesday and I just got wifi, so I am updating my blog to finish up the travel information. I arrived in Kampala with no issues. I collected all of my belongings and headed to immigration. I sat in a row with a Ugandan university student who showed me the way. She was really friendly and excited for me and my experience.  I had to fill out an immigration form, but it was a very painless process. The immigration officer just asked me how long I was going to be here and then fingerprinted me.
I collected all of my luggage and headed to the exit. I was so excited to see my luggage because I lose my luggage quite often. On my way out, I was able to exchange money successfully. $1 = shs2600, so the denominations are astronomical.

I found my driver and headed to the university. The first night I stayed in the guest house, which was very comfortable. I moved into my apartment the next day. I will post pictures of the apartment soon.



From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...