Saturday, August 24, 2013

Preparations Almost Complete

I can hardly believe the time for me to depart is almost here! I have been preparing for this journey for nearly eight months and now, it is here! As I have been packing over the past couple of weeks, I am constantly asking myself, "Do I need this and why?" Although I am taking three bags, two carry-ons, and have shipped five boxes, I am still struggling to weed out the things I don't need. Why do I need so much stuff?

I am lucky that I get to take two bags for free, but the third is $200 - I guess this is why there is a shipping allowance for the fellowship. I am glad I get to take a lot on the airplane, but I have the worst luck on flights. I am often placed by crying babies and my luggage has been lost in several countries more times than I can count. I often have delayed and canceled flights. So, I am quite sure that (a) my luggage will be lost and (b) one or more of my flights will be canceled/delayed. I also found out that I have to collect my luggage at the airport in Amsterdam to go through customs and then put it back through security. That will be a lot of fun with five pieces of luggage.


I also had the opportunity this week to visit my school, students, and teachers. I think I work in the best school in America. I'm serious. I work in a supportive environment that allows me to do the right thing for kids. I really enjoyed seeing so many people I have not seen since we left for the summer back in June. As I walked into school, I felt that familiar excitement to a new school year. After about five minutes, the school was involved in a fire drill, which was a blessing in disguise because it allowed me to see more kids than I had anticipated. My eighth grade girls attacked me as we hugged and walked outside to escape the "burning" building. They knew I was going to be gone this year, but we have been working together for two years, so it was great to see them. My students are so relational and they want me to be involved in every aspect of their life. I have been to quinceaneras (15 year-old birthday parties - similar to weddings), baptisms, various birthday parties, games, and other performances. We are bonded together for life. Middle school is an impressionable time in adolescent development and often our students come back to visit us. I know the incredible responsibility I have to model what my student should strive to be when they grow up. It is an overwhelming honor to work with amazing people and students every day.
I am not sure you can see the numbers in this article from the St. Louis Post Dispatch, but this appeared in the paper on 8/23 in bold print, taking up nearly three fourths of the front page. I knew test results were coming, but I didn't realize it would be so visual and so blatant. We scored a 71.8%, nearly at the bottom. 70% would be provisionally accredited. I know the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) has put a new system in place that measures test scores, attendance, graduation rate, college/career readiness, etc., but I just feel this is unfair. We are a great district. We have the best kids in the state. We have incredible teachers who work many hours and use every new resource given to them. I wish DESE could see what we do on a daily basis because it is life-changing.


I worked out in my last boxing class this week and will really miss boxing. I have boxed three times a week for most of the summer and have been boxing for about a year. Boxing really works all of your body, but especially your arms and core. I feel stronger and more confident. Working so hard together really bonds people and I will truly miss my boxing class. They are real, wonderful people who are just trying to stay fit. Our ring master is Joe and he is amazingly supportive. He works hard to make everyone feel comfortable no matter their fitness level.

I did buy these focus mitts and I am hoping that I will find someone to practice with me, if I can fit them in my bag. I think it is really important to stay healthy and fit, especially when in another country. I have worked really hard to get down to this size and I don't want to lose my endurance.




As I head into my last day, I am going to enjoy it with family and friends. I am looking forward to eating my favorite meal (chip chops, mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, and chocolate cake) with my family and just relaxing. I also need to get a run in sometime before I leave. Regardless, I am going to enjoy these last 24 hours before starting my journey.




From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...