Sunday, August 18, 2013

Blessed Beyond My Share

I have always believed that somehow I have been blessed beyond my share. With the exception of divorce, I have never had anything bad happen to me. I have never had a close friend or family member die tragically. I've never been without a job or homeless. I have always had a car and been financially independent. I've never been sick (well, except the blood clot) or had surgery. I have been able to go to a great school and obtain several degrees. I have been able to travel the world. Yes, I am blessed WAY beyond my share. I often wonder why and sometimes feel guilty from all of the blessings I have received. I was reminded of how blessed I am during my going away party last night.


My best friends decided to throw a party for me so that I could spend some time with everyone and say my farewells. We bought lots of fun food and drink at Costco and we readied the deck! We absolutely love our deck because it is party friendly and it just go refinished and stained, so it looks extra good now!
The flowers on our deck really look great. The picture of the pink flowers is from my balcony. Yes, I have a balcony. After all, I do live with two guys, so I must have the queen's quarters!
The red flowers were from Costco, but we thought they looked "African."
 People came with lots of fun and very thoughtful gifts. This is my friend Jaimie who brought me flowers inspired by our district colors. It has been a long time since I have received flowers, so I really felt special and loved. She is our RNEA President and such a great, supportive friend and amazing teacher.













This is what happens with I give the camera to Jennifer and ask her to take pictures.  I know, it is sick how happy and perfect they are right now. Mike almost looks like he is eating Jennifer's face. Oh well, they did just get married about a month ago.
This gift was from Craig and Jenifer. They gave me a shadow box pic of them and a luggage tag. I am using both. I am so thankful for their friendship, advice, and example of a real marriage.


This gift was from Laura and Steve. Laura teaches in my building just down the hall from me and was our RNEA President. She is working on her doctorate and is an amazing example of a caring, supportive co-worker.
 This gift was from my friend Marci. I am sad that I did not get a picture with Marci. I meant to take pictures with everyone and I just go wrapped up in talking and forgot. I met Marci in boxing class and we became fast friends. I absolutely love, love, love this journal and can't wait to document some of my inner thoughts during this journey.
Another teacher Nicole gave me this car and Itunes gift card. I very much appreciate it because I know I will be downloading the latest American music and books. Nicole was an addition to our school last year and she is just awesome. She works on a team with Joe and has been to our house and out with us a few times. She is small, but mighty!
 This is probably one of the most unique gifts I have received, but definitely appropriate. These adult washcloths were from my friend Rebecca who has been to South Sudan twice to work in a village school. If anyone has experience "roughing it" in Africa, she definitely does. I don't think I am going to need these initially (at least that is what I am telling myself), but I know I will probably use them when I travel to smaller towns.

This lady (and her husband Brian) is one of my favorite people at school. Dina is one of our school counselors and has literally become my personal counselor over the past few years. We try to have weekly sessions together and she has helped me through a number of sticky situations. I am so thankful for her friendship and probably owe her some money for all of our sessions together!


So, as you can see, I am incredibly blessed. There were so many more people at my party who I did not get pictures of, but really enjoyed just spending time together. I received so many special cards and well wishes, which I will take with me and reread during the hard times this year. One of my favorite things that Mr. Hallmark (aka Criag) said in the card he gave me was, "Learn to be part of their culture, give yourself to their causes and their traditions, and then bring the important meaning of that back to share with others." I have built a life here and a circle of support that I will need to tap into from 8,000 miles away.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...