Monday, September 2, 2013

Altitude Sucks!

The altitude here is different than what I am used to back home.
St. Louis 142m
Mukono 1,100m
This basically translates into close to Denver altitude for me while running. I have had my ups and downs with running, but today sucked. Not only was I struggling with breathing, but there were athletes from the sports teams here on campus conditioning - talk about a dose of humble pie. The campus is basically on a mountain and makes for good running conditions, but with the altitude and hills, I am struggling. I know I just need to be patient and add a little more each run, but it still sucks.

My sleeping pattern is still off by about 4 hours. I can't stay up past 7 and I wake up at 3. So, I usually answer emails/facebook from 3-5 and then watch movies until it is light enough to get up and run. When I came back from my run this morning, this is what I saw:
There are animals everywhere here and I have been woken up by everything from a chicken to a cow. The birds are amazingly loud too and scary big.

This is what I had for breakfast today. It is the first time I have had this cereal and with the exception of the fake chocolate taste, it was a fast, decent breakfast. I had a lot of meetings today too, so I am very tired, but feeling good. Must stay up later. Hope you are well.

2 comments:

  1. Don't be so hard on yourself - those athletes are probably totally used to the altitude! Keep on doing great, and thanks for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Liz! It is definitely humbling, but hopefully it will make me fitter!

    ReplyDelete

Please remember that all comments must contain respectful language to be published.

Central America - Days 14 & 15 (Monteverde to Fortuna, Costa Rica)

On Tuesday, we left around 7:15 a.m. to drive to Arsenal Lake to catch our boat across the lake over to Fortuna. The boat ride was about 45 ...