Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Finally...Visitors!

I have lived here a week and last night was the first time I had actual visitors come over to the house. It was so delightful. Being that I live in Tech Park, people can easily find me. Yesterday I stayed home in my apartment (people call it "flat" here) to work on my class this semester, which is going to be incredibly intense. My class started yesterday (doctoral class) and the classes I am teaching start here on Monday. So, during the day, I had visitors from the office come over and pick up some supplies I sent from home for the department. Lydia, one of our administrative assistants asked if I was coming to the office today and I told her that I needed to stay in and study. I asked her if she needed something and she replied, "No, I just wanted to see you." That is the way people are here. They are incredibly sweet and loving. They are genuinely concerned about how you are doing and want to spend time talking with you.

After Lydia and Moses left, I heard a knock at my door. I usually ask who it is and it was one of the ladies from the tech department. I have learned from working in a public school that you MUST make friends with the people in tech, maintenance, and the office. Dorcas was at my door and wondered why I hadn't come in to see her to set up email. I have been in the office the past two days and this was the FIRST day when I was not there. It cracked me up how much I was missed. Dorcas stayed and had a cup of tea while looking at my malfunctioning modem. Dorcas is a great girl. She graduated last year in IT and now working for the university in the tech department. She has been a huge help with me in staying connected. Then, more guests began arriving. I had already invited my friends from the gym over for dinner, so I had boiled a chicken and cut vegetables to make chicken soup. It is a little "cooler" here right now because it is the wet season, so I thought soup would be delicious. Joy, a missionary here for 6 months, came over to greet me. Then, Gloria and Charity stopped by because they were looking for the Canadian girls that live next to me, but they weren't home, so they heard all of the noise and came into my apartment. One of the Canadian girls was leaving after being here 6 months, so she was having a going away party. Gloria and Charity are Ugandan, but they grew up in the states while their father was pursing his PhD and then moved back here in 2009 when he finished school. They remind me so much of home. Gloria works in PR for UCU and graduated a few years ago. Charity is an artist and graduated last year. She is working to  establish herself in the art world. I rely on the girls to answer all of my "cultural" questions since they have lived in the states and they understand all of my adjustment issues. I am very thankful for them in my life. Then, about a half hour later, the "boys" came by for dinner. Banner and Ben are students here at UCU and play on the volleyball team. You wouldn't think volleyball is a big deal, but it is HUGE here. They are practicing for some national tournament in Mbale this weekend. I met the boys when I went into the gym for the first time here on campus. They were very friendly with me and Banner actually boxed with me for about an hour. Ben helped me with some weights and then they walked me back to my apartment. The guys are pretty much inseparable. Ben is finished with his classes, but he is waiting to graduate in December because he is under contract with the athletics department. They pay for everything, so he is indebted to them until December. Banner is in his final year and will graduate next year.
(L-R) Ben, Banner, Charity, Gloria, Me, and Dorcas
Ben, Banner
I made chicken soup and everyone had a good portion, so I know they liked it! We listened to American music and talked about life here on campus. It was awesome. Having people over made me feel like my house was a home.
I had mentioned that I liked chocolate and cake, so Ben brought me both last night for making him dinner. It was a really sweet gesture and much welcomed! Someone told me that if you mention you like something, people will bring it to you as a welcome gift. I had the cake for breakfast this morning. The cake is more like a bread, so I toasted it and but butter on it. So much for losing weight while here.











I am so excited that I found Nutella! It cost me sh11,000 or a little over $4, but I didn't care. I stuck a spoon right it and chowed down!
This is one of the local newspapers in English. I am fascinated with what people write about here and try to read it most days. I think I can get an electronic version, but I need to register for it.

The plumbers also came to my house to fix my water pressure in my shower and add hot water to my kitchen sink. It is hard to complain whenever most people do not have hot water, but I really needed to have stronger water pressure in my shower so that I could wash my hair. Of course, the plumbers were fabulous and fixed everything perfectly.

Well, I am off for today to study and submit my discussion. I hope you have a wonderful day.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...