Sunday, September 1, 2013

I think I am in love with a carpenter...



I think I have a huge crush on a carpenter. You see, UCU has a carpentry department where the guys make most, if not all of the furniture on campus. They are all incredibly talented. I have an amazing bed, nightstand, and coffee table from them. Today (Saturday) as I was laying in my bed watching a movie (give me a break, it was raining), I heard a knock at my door. I don't answer my door unless I know who it is and so I asked who was there. It was Emmanuel, one of the carpenters who first helped me out when I moved in last week. He had a closet for me. He came in to work today (on a Saturday) just to make it for me because he knew I didn't have any place to put my clothes. I have them spread out all over the spare bed, but he knew I needed a closet. I helped him carry it in and we sat and chatted for a bit. He is such an awesome guy and it well known around campus for his work ethic. Honestly I meet amazing people just like Emmanuel here each and every day. I am amazed at how people in poverty can use their talents to sustain themselves. From the dress makers to the food vendors, I am in awe at how everything works every time I step foot outside of the campus.

The closet makes my whole apartment smell like my childhood. My dad has done woodworking all of our lives and it seems that we always had a varnish smell in the basement or out in his workshop. So excited to have a closet. If I was at home, I would make Emmanuel cookies or a cake, but since I am here, I might have to improvise. I have learned in my time to cherish your maintenance people because they are the ones who are going to build my desk, improve my water pressure, and put in a shower curtain!
On a good note, I got an A in my class from the summer! On a bad note, I am taking a research preparation course this semester in which my professor called "rock hard." We have about 400 pages to read for this week and a ton of software to download. I have taken some steps to have more reliable internet and a computer that has a long battery life, but still it will take forever to download.

I went to chapel today (Sunday) because they had a service at 8:30. Normally the services are at 7:30/9:30, but since it is holiday time, we had just one service. The worship was amazing!! I felt so at home. We have chapel service at 12 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I am looking forward to more!

One of the athletes here on campus is Ben. I saw him at the gym on the way back from services who is stressed because he has some reports to do. He is a senior and has to submit some big thing tomorrow. Anyway, I was getting ready to leave and he asked me if he could "push me." I could not figure out what the heck he was talking about. He explained that to "push me" means to walk with me. I cracked up at the differences in our English. As we walked, we saw an avocado tree and a jack fruit tree. I took pictures of both. I am constantly fascinated with the amount of food that grows on trees here! It is truly remarkable.
This cat haunts me. I think it is Nitty's brother or sister (our cat from home). It just stares at me like I am a creature from outer space.










After church, my friend Judy and I walked to downtown Mukono and went to a hotel to go swimming. The pool was nice and it was like a little oasis. I had a Hawaaian pizza and then we walked around and did some shopping. I needed some hangers to hang up all of my clothes. The downtown area is about a mile or so walk. I did weigh at the gym and have lost 7 pounds already and classes haven't even started! It must be all of the walking and getting adjusted. I still have another week to plan for classes and I have meetings bright and early in the morning.


From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...