Sunday, September 29, 2013

Groceries

My "house help" a.k.a. Sarah cleans my house and does the laundry for me each week. I know, I am very, very spoiled. She is absolutely amazing. I can't imagine having to do the laundry and house chores in addition to work. I have never had anyone clean my house before, well except for my bestie/roommate Joe (but I do the laundry), so it is a new experience for me. One of my neighbors told me that she has her house help get fresh produce for her, so I asked Sarah if she could get mine for me. Groceries are easy to get, but fruits and veggies are bartered and sold individually. I HATE bartering and I am terrible at it because whenever the ladies suggest a price, I just pay whatever they ask for without bartering. Most of the ladies grow the food themselves and sustains themselves through these businesses. I put a coffee cup next to most things so you could compare the size of the vegetable/fruit.

Transportation to/from the market cost Shs1000 (about .38). Sarah took a boda boda (motocycle) which is the most common form of transportation here.

 1 avocado Shs 1000 (38 cents)
Yep, huge avocado...won't ever be able to go back to the ones at one. This is like 4-5 of ours.
3 sweet potatoes (3) Shs1000 (38 cents) - Yes, these are sweet potatoes and they are really, really sweet. I think the ones at home taste more like pumpkin, but these taste like potatoes that have sugar in them.
Garlic, onions, Irish potatoes Shs 5000 (about $2)











6 carrots Shs 500 (19 cents)
3 cucumbers Shs 1500 (57 cents)
4 eggplant 1000 (38 cents) - I LOVE the eggplant here because they are small and sweet.
 8 tomatoes Shs 1000 (38 cents)
1 pineapple Shs 2000 (76 cents) - This pineapple is HUGE!

I also got 2 bags of french beans which were about 76 cents for a grand total of about $6 including transportation. These fruits and veggies will last me all week. Now, all I need is some milk, pasta, rice, and meat.

How much do you spend on your groceries per week?

I imagine some of you are getting things out of your garden. I miss harvest time and the smell of the leaves falling off of the trees. Making an apple pie just isn't the same as being at home.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...