Tuesday, September 10, 2013

An Empty Classroom

I prepared my syllabus and my first class. I attended my morning meeting and then walked expectantly to my first class and this is what I found:


Yep, an empty classroom. I was so, so disappointed. Apparently this is par for the course during the first week of class. My first class was English Curriculum and Course Design with third year students. Third year is the last year (like Seniors) before graduation. They designate students by 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year instead of Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior like we do at home. Most students were supposed to arrive last week, register, move into the dorm, etc., but it seems like that was mostly first year students who are new to the university. After walking into my empty classroom, I called Dr. Watuulo to find out what was going on and maybe if I was in the wrong place. It seems that the room was switched and that my class representative was waiting for me in another classroom. Each class has a representative that is supposed to make sure everything is okay with the room and get anything you need such as supplies or copies. So, I met Grace and she informed me that we needed to meet in another classroom, but that that classroom would be full today with modular students and we would need to find another place to go. I had reached my limit at that point and told her that I didn't understand why someone was in our room. She calmly explained that modular studies will be done at the end of this week and then our room will be free. Modular studies are for teachers who are on holiday and come to study at the university, sort of like professional development. Grace also told me that I should expect about 18 students, but only 2 had arrived! Holy cow. 2/18...not good odds. I told Grace that I would meet her tomorrow for class. She said she would call the others to make sure they were prepared to attend class tomorrow (today). I hope to find some students in my classroom today.

Another huge challenge here is access to books. There is no bookstore on campus and most teachers just copy chapters from books for students to use. I really wish I would have brought a scanner. I could use one because I think it would be more cost effective to copy the chapters and put them online,which students could access with their flash drives. There are many copy places on campus, but I don't want students to have to pay for it. Copies and paper seem to be a premium here.

Yesterday was a bit of a rough day with no class and all, so my friend Ben came over and cooked lunch. It was delicious. He made eggs with vegetables over rice.
Cooking is difficult here because everything is done from scratch. Anytime I can have someone cook for me and take over my kitchen, it is a welcomed relief!
I made burgers tonight and they were delicious. I forgot to take a picture, but I mixed the hamburger with onions and garlic. I also had cucumbers and tomatoes with dressing and fresh pineapple. I love all of the fresh food here. I know the CDC said to boil everything, but I can't imagine missing out on all of the bounty of fresh food here. Maybe I will change my mind if I get sick!

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...