Thursday, January 15, 2015

Return to the U.S.

About 48 hours after leaving Uganda, I arrived home. I always have thought that 24 hours was bad, but this trip was really long. It all started on my trip to the airport. Normally, it takes us about 2 hours to get to the airport (during traffic), but this time, it took a little over three hours because there was so much traffic. When I arrived at the airport, they were announcing that my flight was closing, so I quickly said my goodbyes and was quickly ushered in past security. Security was tight and there were police everywhere. I got through security and checked in. Immigration was a breeze even if there was a long line and I was checked through without a problem. I always prefer to pack less to take on the airplane because then security is easy and I don't have to carry a lot of things. I always carry a change of clothes and a few toiletries in case I get stuck. Little did I know that I would be stuck in at Newark for 30 hours.

My flights were normal, packed and crowded, but no issues. There were four large flight leaving Uganda at the same time, so we were delayed about an hour. I didn't mind. I had a three hour layover in Belgium anyway. My layover was easy and they had free wifi, so that was exciting. I boarded the flight back to the U.S. and tried to rest. I can't sleep on flights, so I tried to stay busy while playing games and reading. Both flights had an amazing entertainment system, so I was quite pleased and entertained.

I have a love/hate relationship with reentering the U.S. because not only does immigration ask you a million questions, but then you have to pull off your luggage and re-check it. I really wish there was an easier way, but there's not. The immigration official asked me several questions including ones about ebola. Then, he sent me on my way and I grabbed my bags. I re-checked my bags and checked the departures screen to find my gate. I noticed that the flight scheduled in the morning for St. Louis was delayed, but I didn't think much about it.

When I arrived upstairs to the terminal, I realized that many of the flights were delayed because there were so many people standing around. I checked the monitor and noticed that my flight was canceled. So, I waited in line to talk to the agent at United...for 45 minutes. There was ONE agent taking care of everyone and then another agent came to assist. Once I got up to the counter, the agent told me she could not get me to St. Louis until the next night at 11 p.m...it was 4 p.m. in the afternoon, which was nearly 30 hours later. I was so frustrated, but it didn't seem like there was much I could do. She offered for me to fly stand-by for several flights the next day, but I couldn't imagine myself waiting in the airport any longer. So, I found a payphone and called my family to let them know I wouldn't be in the next day. I didn't take my cell phone because I didn't want anything to happen to it, so all I had was my ipad. I had to figure out a hotel and transportation WITHOUT a cell phone. I vowed at that moment to never travel without a cell phone again.

Even though I was frustrated with United, Newark did have a nice setup with a phone board to call and make reservations. So, I called Holiday Inn and reserved a room and caught the shuttle. Now, I thought I was going to be indoors all day, so of course I was in flip flops and capris. I headed to the hotel and checked in. The hotel was nicer than I expected. The rooms were spacious and very comfortable. I think my standard of hotels has changed a bit since traveling through Africa, but the hotel was definitely nice. There was Bath and Body accessories, a hairdryer, coffee maker, and large screen TV. I was very pleased and enjoyed the luxury. I wish I could have worked out or gone to the sauna, but I didn't have my swimsuit or gym clothes.



Once I was settled in, I ate dinner at the restaurant and then came back to the room and crashed. It didn't matter that is was 7 p.m. because in my mind, it was 4 a.m. Ugandan time and I needed to rest. I woke up the next morning about 6 a.m. and headed downstairs for breakfast. The restaurant had a breakfast buffet for $15, so I relaxed with a newspaper and enjoyed the fast wifi to upload pics and chat with my friends. I finished up my morning relaxing on the couch in my room and then headed back to the airport. The airport offered transportation to an outlet mall for $5, so I headed there.

The mall was called Jersey Gardens and I knew they had a movie theatre and some stores where I could find tennis shoes and some warmer clothes. I bought tennis shoes at Nike and a sweatshirt at Under Armour. I also saw Big Eyes with Amy Adams which was about an artist (Keen) whose husband basically took credit for her work. It was really entertaining and sad. In the end though, Keen won her case against her husband and still paints to this very day. I love that her husband died penniless! Karma is a wonderful thing!

I boarded the flight home without a problem and slept the whole time. I was so exhausted. I had a single seat, next to the window, which was awesome. My bags had already arrived at the airport and were waiting for me, so I picked them up and headed outside. I was a little concerned about waiting outside in the cold, but the shelter had a heater in it, so I was nice and warm. My bestie picked me up and then I headed home since I had to work six hours later. What a whirlwind of a trip!

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...