Thursday, January 1, 2015

Day 3 - Kampala

We left Rakai and headed back to Kampapa, which takes about 3 hours. The journey is an enjoyable one because it is a smooth ride. We stopped along the way to get a few things including a drum for me. The place where we stopped was incredible - one of those by the road places that you would never find anywhere else. I wanted a drum and I found just the place.
These drums are actually made from animal hides. You could see several of the animal hides being stretched and dried in sun next to the shop. It was awesome. I bought a small drum and stool which I hope I can get into the U.S. We will see. We arrived back to Kampala and immediately went to the bus park to secure tickets up to Kitgum for the 9 pm bus. We bought our tickets and headed to the mall to get some books and meet up some other friends at the brand new Acacia mall to watch a 3D movie. 
We saw Exodus complete with popcorn and slushies. I was in heaven. Then we went to the food court to fuel up before heading to the bus for our overnight journey. The food court was really, really different than the ones at home. As soon as you sit down, about 5 or 6 vultures (attendants from the various chains) surround you and shove menus in your face. We all ordered food and waited for it to come. 
I ordered Chinese food and loved it. It is nice to have the variety of food here because I knew that I would get mostly local food where I was going over the next few days. Local food is not bad, I'm just spoiled by the variety we have in the U.S. After dinner, we headed to the bus park to catch our bus. I love to travel at night because it is cooler and most people sleep. Also, the travel is safe without worry of someone robbing you. I have taken this journey before and I knew it would take about eight hours. Little did I know we wouldn't arrive in town until nearly twelve hours later due to a problem at the police checkpoint and a flat tire.


From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...