Saturday, January 17, 2015

Memphis

Joe and I decided to drive down to Memphis, Tennessee to visit our friend Kelly. The drive was supposed to take about 4.5 hours, but it took us about 5.5 or 6 hours. The ride was mostly smooth and we stopped at Steak n Shake for dinner. We arrived around 9:30 p.m. and had drinks with our friends. Our friend Kelly left us cute little hick wine glasses, gummies, and chocolate covered berries. It was so nice and cute. After drinks and catching up, we crashed.
The first place we went today was the Civil Right Museum, which is the hotel where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot. I always feel really surreal when I visit places that are living history. It is just unexplainable to be in the same place of such overwhelming sorrow that shaped history. I felt the same way when I visited the concentration camp in Germany and the school where boy would come each night to stay away from Kony and the LRA in Uganda. I always imagine the terror that happened right where I am standing. It is monumental for me. I felt the same feeling today at the museum.

This is the balcony that MLK died on and the next picture is where James Earl Ray shot him from a boarding house. It was very eery to be standing in that place. I can't imagine having so much hate for someone that you want to kill them. The museum was amazing and I am so glad that I had the time to go and see it. It was interactive and allowed you to be part of the experience.

We went to Germantown Commissary to get BBQ. It was delicious. I had sweet potato fries and a pulled pork sandwich with a sweet tea. It was delicious. They had a BBQ spice that we bought to try at home. The first ingredient was sugar, so you know it will be good.

Then, we went to a really cool international grocery store to grab some food. I loved the seafood section and all of the produce. We have similar things at home, but on a smaller scale.
Overall, we had a great day seeing the city.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...