Thursday, January 1, 2015

Day 2 - Rakai

Rakai was the reason I wanted to come to Uganda. Of course, I wanted to come to Uganda to visit my friends and experience the gorgeous weather, but this organization and my sponsor child were at the heart of this trip. So I was definitely looking forward to our trip today. Joseph (the founder of the orgazation) picked me up in Mukono and we headed to pick up the director and change money in Kampala. The trip to Rakai is about 3-4 hours and about 130 km. I first met Joseph when I was working at UCU. He came to my office to tell me about a small organization that he started during his internship when he noticed so many kids on the street and not in school. I was so intrigued by Joseph and his character.  At that time, a lot of people asked me to help in various ways or to connect them with people in the U.S. However, Joseph was totally different. I could feel his heart through the discussions we had, yet he wasn't pressuring me Iike others. I instantly knew this organization was something I wanted to get involved with and see how I could help. 

I had prepared a lot before coming by getting donations from my school as well as clothing donations from various places/organizations. I didn't want to say how much I was bringing because I was afraid I would be vulnerable, but since the money is in a safe place, I can say that I gave the organization $800 or 2 million shillings. I was so excited to give this money to them, but I also wanted ROHP to know that this money was not from me, but from so many people that care for them in the U.S., including my school's National Junior Honors Society who donated $400. I sponsor a child, but I also wanted to give something to the organization, so I donated a new laptop. Joseph indicated that was something they needed and I know it will be used to further the organization. 

I also knew this was a chance for me to see my sponsor child, Berendette. She is six years old and we were able to get her in school for the first time this term, starting in January. She was already showing me some of the English she has learned in school and also Joseph showed me some of her grade reports. I know she will continue to progress. 

After giving all of the money, clothing and laptop, we paused for a picture with the kids. They were super excited. They made these cute signs to welcome me. Their hospitality is always awesome. After pictures, we dismissed the kids to go back home and we went to go visit two sponsor kids. The first family we visited was one of our American sponsors, Beverly, who sponsors Kevin. Beverly was also responsible for sending all of the clothes for the kids through an organization that makes dresses for Africa. Kevin lives with his grandmother who is taking care of 10 grandchildren whose parents have all died from HIV/AIDS. It is a desperate situation for sure. Their house is in disrepair and they are struggling for their basic, daily needs. My heart feels so much for the desperate situation of this grandmother who is taking care of so many kids. I often wonder what will happen when she passes away, but I try to push that feeling out of my mind.
After visiting Kevin's family, we headed to lunch. We took Bernadette with us. She gobbled up everything we gave her to the point that her stomach was swollen and we packed the rest of the food for her to take home to her family. I quickly realized that her stuffing herself so much was because she didn't know where her next meal was coming from. This was one of those surreal moments in my life where I had to reconcile why I was so blessed to never worry about food and this little girl didn't know where her next meal was coming from. I know the things we are doing for her are helping but it is still hard for me to understand the contrasts between my world and hers.

We also had the opportunity to visit Bernadette's family's. Joseph had recently purchased a mattress and mosquito net for them, but their house needs a new roof badly. It is leaking everytime it rains and there is no door to provide security. I immediately knew I wanted to do something, so I asked Joseph to inquire about the building materials and day laborers so that the family could have a safe, dry house. It is dry season but the rains will be coming soon. I just could not live with myself if I didn't do something.
After our long day, Joseph dropped me off at the hotel and I crashed at 6 pm. I had such a long day coupled with jet lag, so I needed the rest. Joseph was scheduled to pick me up at 10 the next day to return to Kapala. 




From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...