Monday, June 10, 2013

The Birth of My Fellowship

"Where is Uganda?" was my dad's first question when I told him I had been matched up to Uganda for my English Language Fellowship. His second question was, "Why would you want to go there?" 

I love my mom and dad. They are overprotective and small-town-minded, but they love me unconditionally with all of their hearts and no matter what crazy, hair-brained idea I come up with, they still jump on board and support me. Even though my parents are scared to death that I am going to be in a foreign country for 10 months, I am ecstatic! I learned about the English Language Fellow program three years ago at a TESOL conference in Denver, Colorado. I attended a session where fellows were talking about their experiences teaching in another country. The program is sponsored through the state department and Georgetown University. The purpose of the program is to "assist U.S. Embassies throughout the world in their goals of facilitating democratic institution building and encouraging participation in the global economy" (English Language Fellow Program, 2013). Teachers are placed throughout the world to teach and establish relationships with other countries for ten months. When I heard about the program, I was married at the time and didn't really think it was the best timing for me to go off to another country for a year. But in the back of my mind, I knew that I needed to complete a fellowship. Maybe it was God tugging at my heart or maybe it was my love for travel or other cultures, but every time I saw the English Language Fellow booth, I could not look away. I talked to the recruiter, Brian, each time I saw him and every year, I became more and more interested in becoming a fellow. In October, I saw Brian again and after talking to him extensively, I decided this was my year. Before applying, I prayed and asked God to open every door clearly so that I would know that this is the right decision at this point in my career. So, I began the process of applying. Applying to the program is time-consuming and requires more patience than I have on most days. The application requires the following:
  • Online application
  • Resume
  • Two Lesson Plans
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Two Reference Letters
  • Graduate Transcripts
  • Professional Publications
Needless to say, the program is selective and requires teaching experience with a Master's degree. There are many benefits to the program including a stipend and living expenses, but the greatest advantage for me is learning about other cultures and having the opportunity to travel. 

After submitting my application online, I contacted my district human resources person to make sure I could actually take a year of absence without losing my tenure. I work for an amazing district that offers many incredible benefits for its employees. Teachers are allowed to take a year of unpaid leave for foreign teaching without any adverse affects to salary, position, etc. Once I received approval from my district, it was full speed ahead. I applied in February and had a Skype interview with the recruiter in March. After our interview, Brian said he would finish my application and send it to Georgetown. I guess Brian functions as a gatekeeper for applicants. After our interview, I received an email on May 16 that I had been matched to a project in Uganda. At the time, I was on my way to Six Flags with 300 middle school students and I actually shouted for joy on the bus. My kids were confused and wondered what the heck was going on. I had not told them that I was applying for the position because I didn't want them to deal with me being gone for a year if it didn't actually materialize. The coordinator of the program matches several prospects to the same project and then the U.S. Embassy closest to that particular project chooses their top candidate. This particular project is based at Uganda Christian University in Mukono, Uganda. I received a questionnaire from the U.S. Embassy in Kampala, Uganda on May 30 which asked all sorts of questions including:
Are you interested/willing to do your Fellowship in Uganda?

Have you spent one semester or more living or working in a developing nation? If yes, how were you able to adapt to living conditions such as unreliable transportation, or limited electricity and internet?

Would you be able to conform to the requirements of dress code and conduct in a conservative, private university?

Would you be willing to occasionally travel to other parts of Uganda for teacher training or for other duties related to your position at the university?

Would you be willing to teach classes with a large number of students and/or with limited resources?

Do you have experience assisting Freshman students with study skills and academic writing techniques?

Would you be willing to help out with matters pertaining to curriculum review and materials development?

Are you willing to walk in a mountainous/hilly terrain on a daily basis? Do you have dietary restrictions?

I did not share these questions with my parents because as I have already stated, they worry...all the time! I guess it won't be a secret now! Anyway, after submitting the questionnaire, I had an interview with Shannon at the embassy in Kampala. She gave me the opportunity to ask a lot of questions and she told me I was their top candidate. So, about 15 minutes after the phone call, I received an email saying I had been offered a fellowship and had two days to accept the position. The position I have accepted is working with students who are studying to be teachers, which is supposed to take about 70% of my time. The other portion of my time will be spent running the on-campus writing center and conducting workshops throughout the country. 

Now, the fun really begins! I have to go to the doctor within 10 business days (so my appointment is tomorrow) to certify that I am healthy and begin the process of applying for a visa from the government in Uganda.


English Language Fellow Program. 2013. What do fellows do? Retrieved from http://www.elfellowprogram.org/elf/prospective/assignment.cfm

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...