Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Holy Expensive Vaccines!

My status for becoming a fellow is conditional on submitting a health verification form to the program which states I am healthy and fit for the project within ten business days of receiving my placement. So, yesterday I had my appointment with my favorite doctor, Dr. Daniels, at the Center for Advanced Medicine (CAM)  to complete the form and get all of my vaccines. Did you know that doctors do not stock immunizations for travel? I thought I was going to walk out of the doctor's office with very sore arms, but apparently I was wrong. Dr. Daniels and I discussed most of the items on the health form and then he asked for my shot record. Do you have your shot record? I do not. I don't even know when I last received an immunization, but I do remember that I HATE them. I hate them with a passion. I am not really afraid of needles, I just would rather have sore arms from strength training. I had to track down my shot record from Alton High School and still need to email it to him after the TB test check. After our discussion, a TB test, a prescription for 320 malaria pills and 60 Cipro pills (just in case I get three possible infections), Dr. Daniels referred me to the health department which then referred me to Barnes Care which is a Travelers' Health Service offered by BJC. The St. Louis City health department does not offer travelers' vaccines. Based on the information from my doctor and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, I knew that I needed immunizations for hepatitis A, polio, typhoid, yellow fever, and meningitis. I opted out of the rabies shot because I figured if I actually am bitten by a wandering animal, I will get the shot at that time. Barnes Care told me that I would need to file a claim for my insurance for the vaccines. Here is what I know about the vaccines.

Hepatitis A ($85) - Hepatitis A is transferred through contaminated food or water, so apparently I need it. This immunization is a series of two shots...oh joy!

Polio ($50) - I already had this vaccine as a child, but need a booster which is good for a lifetime.

Typhoid ($87) - This is also transferred through contaminated food or water and is only good for 2 years.

Yellow Fever ($148) - I must have this vaccine and show proof of it to enter Uganda. Apparently Barnes Care is a certified yellow fever administration center...whatever that means! This immunization is good for 10 years.

Meningitis ($175) - This immunization is good for a lifetime. Since Uganda is considered part of the "meningitis belt" of sub-Saharan Africa and I will be there during the most common time to contract this disease (December - June), I obviously need it. 

Then, I called my insurance to inquire about filing a claim. NO TRAVEL VACCINES ARE COVERED!! What? Are you serious? So, if you are good at math, that is $545!! Now, I understand why the fellowship program provides $700 for pre-departure expenses.
 Do you think I have TB?
The nurse told me the band aide is just in case I forget where she administered the test.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...