Sunday, June 16, 2013

Saved By the County Health Department & Insurance

As I blogged about the vaccines the other day, I was a bit bothered by having to spend $545 on vaccinations even though I know I am lucky to be able to get them when millions of people in the world don't even have access to these medicines. I truly began to consider if I really needed these vaccines. I mean, I know my doctor was very insistent about getting the vaccines, but millions of people survive without them every year. I am a healthy person. I can survive typhoid, right? Shouldn't they be free?

Once I came back to reality, I began to check out other avenues to administer the vaccines to me. Since the city does not offer vaccines, I thought I would try the county. Guess what? They offer vaccines at a reduced rate! So, here are the details (new info in blue):

Hepatitis A $85/$37
Polio $50/$30
Typhoid $87/$55 (oral too - double win!!)
Yellow Fever $148/$111
Meningitis $175/$111
*New one - Tdap (diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus) $45

All of the vaccines total $389 versus $545, plus I am getting an additional shot for that price and the typhoid is an oral administration instead of injection! Yeah me! My appointment for them is July 11. I can't wait to have sore arms and be immunized from virtually everything.

My next challenge was getting my malaria medicine. I happily walked myself up to the counter at Walgreens and proudly gave them my two prescriptions, one for malaria prevention and one for Cipro (in case I get infections). The pharmacist told me that she needed to call to get authorization on them because usually insurance companies only approve one month of medication at a time. I told her that I needed 10 months and she told me that was impossible. Apparently, insurance companies have a vacation override that will approve three months, but I needed TEN. I told the pharmacist that I would call my insurance company and figure this out. So, a few minutes later, I was talking with Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield about my needs. The representative, Cybil, tells me she understands, but that they will probably not approve it. She asked me if someone could pick up my prescription monthly and I politely reminded her that I would be in U-G-A-N-D-A so the likelihood of finding a Walgreens on the corner would be slim to none. After two hours, Cybil had finally talked with her supervisor and composed a detailed email to the "powers that be" in order to request approval of my prescriptions. Now, I am not sure if I mentioned this or not, but my insurance runs out at the end of this month - that is June 30. So, I need everything done by that date. Because I am on foreign leave next year, my contract benefits end at the end of this month, so I have to find gap insurance to cover me until I leave for the fellowship in September. I have already been to my OB/GYN and my primary doctor. I have dentist and vision appointments next week. It is vital that I get these prescriptions filled in the next two weeks or I would have to pay full price for them, which is around $900.

When I woke up yesterday morning, there were two missed called from Cybil. So, on the third call, she caught me and explained that my request HAS BEEN APPROVED. I just knew for sure that she was going to tell me it was denied and then I would have to figure out another way to get these meds. I am elated and my faith in Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield has been renewed.


From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...