Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Flight Back Home

I wrote this over 24 hours while en route to St. Louis.

As I sit in the Entebbe airport, I fight the urge to run back to the university vehicle and run away with my Ugandan friends. I have felt so loved here. It really hurts deeply to leave. I am not sure it has sunk in yet, but it will. I am going back to my spoiled world and I am excited, but my return is bitter sweet. I can hardly wait to see my family and friends, but I have left half of my heart with the people of Uganda.

My journey today started around 7 p.m. when we left for the airport. I had so many people come and visit me at my apartment this afternoon. It was such a nice, relaxing time. About 3:30, I received a call from KLM saying my flight was delayed nearly three hours due to an aircraft change. So, back to when I left at 7 and then arrived at the airport at 10. Entebbe is about 55 km from Mukono and takes us about three hours. It was okay. I enjoyed the traffic and being with my friends. I always hate the traffic, but this time, I prayed it would take forever. We arrived at the airport, got a trolley and hauled all of luggage to the security check point. Only ticketed passengers are allowed into the airport, so I said my goodbyes and made my way into the airport and headed over to the scales to sort myself out. I knew my bags were over weight, but I didn’t care, I was prepared for the fees and was determined to get all of the stuff back home with me come hell or high water. Most of my bags weighed 26 kgs and the weight limit was 23 kgs. While waiting in life, an agent asked if I was a frequent flyer member and I said yes, so they put me through the first class line. After fidgeting with my bags for about 30 minutes, I finally got down to only two overweight bags, so I paid $600…it’s just money, right? Anyway, I checked in and the airline gave me a coupon for a drink and snack because of the delay, which I thought was really nice. I enjoyed my tea and snack while watching Cameroon versus Brasil. I then proceeded to security and what I call “the holding tank,” which is an area after security, but before boarding. It is hot, smelly, and the wait feels like forever.

After waiting nearly three hours, I saw the huge KLM plane pull up. That was the plane that was going to take me home. I am really leaving Africa. How is this possible? I am heartbroken, but I must muster the strength and get on this plane. I watched the stewardess and pilots and soon it will be my turn. I can do this.

The Amsterdam flight was very nice. Upon boarding, they offered newspapers (in Dutch of course) and the standard small pillow and thin blanket. This flight was 7 hours, 45 minutes, so they serviced meals. Before meal service began, there was an announcement about looking for a doctor on board. I have heard that announcement on movies, but I have never heard it in real life. I silently prayed for whatever happened, the person would be okay. Meal service began with a lavender scented, warm towel, which is a nice addition to the service. The first hot meal was a choice or Nile perch or pasta. I had the perch. It came with a salad, potatoes, zucchini, fresh roll, cheese/crackers, and a swiss roll. I ordered white wine…ah, yes, I can make my own drink decisions and not be “disciplined” for taking the brew of a sinner. After the meal, I listlessly slept for about two hours, then I woke up and started watching movies and Mad Men. I have never been able to sleep in a car or on a plane unless I am lying flat, but I am too cheap to pay for an upgrade. The last few hours of a long flight are hardest for me. I am anxious to get to Amsterdam and find out about my next flight, since I think I may have already missed it.
I tried to get a pic of my meal, but really dark.


flying over Amsterdam

I made it to my next flight with a few minutes to spare. I thought I was late, but they were also late boarding. While I was waiting to get to security, I met two nuns who had been in Kampala for the past three weeks for a large meeting. One of the nuns had lived in Uganda for 28 years. The nuns were from South Bend, Indiana. I had to go through another security line and the security was very tight. Each person (or family) met with a TSA agent and the agent asked many questions about who packed my bags and if anyone had asked me to carry explosives for them. I thought he was joking, but he was quite serious. Then, I went through a full body scan and thorough pat down…and I thought Uganda was bad! It was really insane, worse than the embassy. The flight to Detroit was smooth sailing although I was very bored. I tried sleeping, watching movies, planning games, and reading, but nothing could keep my attention. I was very excited to see my family, so I am very impatient. The food was good and I sat next to a quiet, older man. I even had a Greek salad with feta cheese, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar…so yummy!

Loved this plane. There were even USB connectors to charge my photo and a beautiful screen!


Schiphol airport in Amsterdam

salad with cheese!!!


Once I landed in Detroit, I called my mom for the first time after switching my cell phone card. I had tears come to my eyes just think about us reuniting together in a few hours. Then, I deplaned and looked for the new flight. Before going to the new flight, you have to go through passport control and re-check baggage. Unfortunately my baggage didn’t make the flight to Detroit, so I check with the Delta official and they suggested I file a claim in St. Louis. It was a blessing in disguise because I didn’t have to lug all of those bags through the airport again. I chatted with friends and then got on the last flight, which was delayed a bit due to weather. At this point, I was used to delays. I finally arrived at the St. Louis airport about 4 p.m., which was more than 24 hours when I entered the plan in Entebbe. I saw my family and hugged them with tears streaming down my face. It was such a nice reunion. My niece, Ella, is so huge! The last time I saw her she was one month old and such a sleepy baby. Now, she is a little girl! I was concerned that she might cry, but she came right to me! I went over to my sister’s house and had dinner and then drove my car to my house. My roommates and best friend where there and it was such a nice time just sitting together drinking wine and talking about my crazy experiences. Joe cleaned the house and made everything so perfect for me. I just had to sit back and relax. What a long, long journey, but I am home. Hopefully, my bags will come today and I can unpack. I know that culture shock will come and it will take me a while to readjust to life back home, but for now, I am thankful to be home. Thank you for everyone for your well wishes.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...