Sunday, June 22, 2014

Farewell Uganda

I have already said some goodbyes this past week. I hate goodbyes. I have really had some challenges with the religious policies on campus, but my friends have helped me to maintain prospective.

Farewell Party - UCU
The department surprised me with a farewell party. It was nice of them, but I couldn't help but think about the people who had given me a hard time were the same ones that said they would miss me and welcome me back at any time. Ah, the hypocrisy of life! I still appreciate the gathering, cake, and presents. Based on the comments people said, I know that they understand I value relationships first and then get down to work. They also commented about my organizational skills and academic focus. I was thankful for the time.





















Farewell Lunch with Friends
One of my friends requested some time with me on Thursday and we met on campus about 12. We jumped on a boda and headed down a very steep hill path. I started to get nervous sitting on the boda and bouncing up and down, but I stayed on with no problem. It is amazing what I have gotten used to while living here. I used to avoid bodas at all costs and now I look for them to get me some place quickly. The transformation is quite amazing. How will I get my boda fix at home? Maybe I will buy a motorcycle...my mom will love that one!

Anyway, the bodas stopped in a beautiful, bushy area and we headed down a footpath. Now, most houses around are down a long, windy path, so this was no different. I totally thought we were going to a scenic restaurant because Jenny said we were going to see some scenery and it was around lunch time. We arrived to a beautiful house with luscious gardens surrounding it. It was truly an African paradise. As I walked into the house (take your shoes off first), I met several of my friends from campus. They told me I would know the owner of the home. As I waited and conversed with my friends, my friend Evangeline came out and acknowledged this was her place. She told me that they had planned a potluck lunch to celebrate my farewell. I was so excited and honored that they thought of me. It was such a nice gesture.


We had delicious food including pizza, guacamole, chapati, cabbage rolls, rice, salad, and several meats. It was heaven on a plate.

The Lukaires and I! This couple is so great! They are some of my favorite people here.

L-R Sam, Me, Zac, Gloria, Jenny, Charity, lady, Evangeline
After lunch, I toured Evangeline's gardens where she has many vegetables and fruits. It is amazing how things grow here because there is so much rain and sunlight. People really can survive on what they grow, which is a refreshing change.

ground nuts 

yam leaves

gorgeous views 



I had such a nice farewell week. I am taking some time away from campus to relax with friends and then I will head back to "pick" my bags and go to the airport for my flight on Monday night. I can't believe my adventure has ended! Wow.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...