Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Last day of East African Vacation


What a Christmas already and it is only 1:45 p.m. This morning Megan and I got up, had breakfast together, and I checked out of the hotel at 10:00 with no incident. In fact, we were talking at breakfast about how everything from has run so smoothly from point A to Z…stupid us! The shuttle left on time and I arrived at the airport with plenty of extra lounging time. I went through security without incident and waited for my flight to be displayed on the check-in screens. About an hour before check-in, I noticed that my check-in counter was deserted, but I knew everything was on time because I had received an email that everything was fine and my flight displayed on the monitor as “on time.” So I talked up to the counter and asked about my flight. They said it was not ready yet, but they asked me to hold on a minute while they checked on something. The supervisor came out, which is never a good sign when you are traveling, and told me the flight was canceled. He displayed a paper with my name on it.
I asked, “Where are the other passengers?”
He said, “They have all been notified, but we knew you were coming to the airport, so my supervisor gave me this paper this morning.”
So, I inquired, “What should I do?”
He said, “Come with me to my office.”
When I accompanied him to his office, we began the fun process of calling Air Uganda to rebook my flight.
I asked, “Why was the flight canceled?”
He said,  “Sometimes the company cancels flights when they are not fully booked. Since it is Christmas, I think people did not show up to work.”
I said, “Are you freaking kidding me?”
He laughed and said, “yes, it’s East Africa.”
“So, how am I getting to Entebbe? I have a flight tomorrow to Dubai and I have paid for accommodations tonight. Plus, I have a bag to pick up that I left at the airport.” I asked.
“Well, the only person that can approve you for a new flight is Air Uganda. They have two flights a day and the next one is tomorrow at 12:15.” He replied.
“But that would not get me back to Uganda in time to catch my Dubai flight or pick up my bag. I also will have to pay double accommodations and I don’t want to do that.” I whined.
“We have a flight going to Nairobi and then Entebbe, but it is with Kenya Airlines and you would need to book and pay for it yourself,” he stated.
“Could we continue trying to call Air Uganda and your supervisors until we reach someone?” I pleaded.
“Sure. But I can tell you no it is difficult because it is Christmas and most people are not working today,” he stated.
We began the process of calling multiple numbers  on multiple phones to no avail. We called the offices in Dar Es Salaam, Kampala, and Entebbe. We also visit the office at the airport and they were completely closed. So, I came back to the office and decided to go up to Kenya Airlines to book a flight. I went up and talked with the agent and he said a new flight would be $335, cash only. Of course I didn’t have $335 cash on me. I had a bit of cash, a few Tanzanian and Uganda shillings. That did me no good. He told me that it was too close to book online.
Then he had an idea, “Why don’t you book it for three or four days later and then I will change the flight today free of charge?”
“Okay, sounds good.”
So I began the process of rebooking my flight, but the Internet kept crashing. We switched computers and tried again. Finally, it worked. I was able to book a flight and the agent switched the date for me.

I went back downstairs to retrieve my luggage from the office and headed to the check-in counter. I checked, went through immigration and boarded the flight. They were actually boarding when I went through security. So, now I am sitting on the flight enjoying all of the extra room and fabulous music. Kenya Airlines is really quite nice. I was very surprised at the cleanliness of the plane, TV screens and services. Too bad this is just an hour flight to Nairobi and then one hour to Entebbe. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...