Friday, December 20, 2013

East African Vacation - Day #7 (12/19)

Today we had lunch reservations for Shanga Gardens so the taxi picked us up at 11:30 a.m. for our 12 p.m. reservation. One of the girls found this place on trip adviser. We knew it was beautiful, but we had no idea how beautiful and beneficial the place actually was for the community. Shanga Gardens is a place for people with disabilities to work and earn a living and feel productive in society. People who have disabilities are often shunned here in East Africa and there are few services for them. Many of the people who work at this facility are deaf. They communicate through sign language and gestures. All of the people at the shop are incredibly talented…from artists to glass blowing to weaving to making jewelry, they are really amazing. 

There was one guy that was laying on his side named Moshi who was painting name plates. I bought one for my niece. He was absolutely incredible. He personalized these unique pieces of art for anyone who passed by the shop. Everyone who worked in the shop seemed to enjoy his or her job. I bought many things including jewelry, art, homemade wine, and a small glass vase. After touring the workshop, we headed out to the garden for our welcoming drink. They offered passion juice or champagne. I won’t tell you which one I chose! Then, we headed into the restaurant for our meal. The first course was a carrot ginger soup with a bread roll. It was so velvety and smooth that it slid right down my throat. Then, we had a vegetable samosa with mango chutney. We have samosas in Uganda, but this was the most delicious samosa I had ever tasted. Then, we had a buffet for lunch. The buffet included potato salad, carrot salad, pasta salad, tomato/mozzarella, and lettuce, lentils, chicken, beef, and tilapia. It was just divine. It reminded me of some of the really nice places I have had lunch like Josephine’s in Godfrey. After dinner, our waiter served coffee and a dessert tray. The coffee was from the plantation next door and the deserts included chocolate covered coffee beans, fruit, fried coconut doughnuts, and some toffee dessert. They were in little portions, but we were still stuffed by the end of the meal. After the meal, we sat in the garden a little longer and also completed our purchases at the shop.

After leaving the gardens, we headed to the Maasai market. This market is known for its incredibly cheap prices and great products. There are many, many artists there and they all want you in their shop. I didn’t really intend to buy anything, but I ended up buying a painting, a decorative gourd, and two pillowcases. I can’t believe how comfortable I have become at bartering. In fact, the girls took me because they wanted me to barter for them. Sometimes I crack myself up. I was happy with our purchases and I know people were please that we bought many things.

After the market, we headed to the ATM, Shoprite, and then a Mexican place, which had wifi. I love to buy food in other countries, so I learned to buy goodies in grocery stores where you can pay the same price that locals pay. I bought passion fruit jam, mint tea, vanilla tea, coffee from Kenya and Tanzania, chia tea, and of course a bottle of water. After groceries, we headed to the Mexican place to eat good food and enjoy connecting with our families. I hadn’t talked with my parents since Saturday and I knew they were worried because my mom actually called my cell phone. I had a friend email them last night to let them know I was okay, but I knew I needed to touch base with them. I know I put my parents through a lot with all of my travels, so I knew communicating with them was priority today. Plus, I needed to add to my discussion post for my class, so I could kill two birds with one stone.

After connecting with the outside world, I enjoyed some food and headed back to the hotel. We are planning to leave early in the morning to catch a bus to Moshi.  

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...