Thursday, December 19, 2013

East African Vacation - Day #1 (12/13)


ALL PICS ON FACEBOOK 

The girls left on Wednesday morning, after missing the bus to Nairobi, which is a long story in itself. Apparently we had the wrong check point. Just imagine four people chasing a large, coach bus on motorcycles with luggage in tow. It was insane. I had to wait until final exams were over to meet them, so I flew out on Friday. Moses, our department driver, picked me up at 9:30 and my friend Daniel accompanied us. I had to stop at Orange to add minutes to my cell phone. I arrived at 10:45 in the middle of a drill. I had time to get a pizza, withdraw money, and talk with Lisa, my public affairs officer. Then, I ran out of the embassy before it went on lockdown for 30 minutes. Apparently they do these drills once a month or so.
I arrived at the airport easy and checked in my luggage. This was the first time I had been on this side of the Entebbe airport, so it was a bit of a learning curve. They don’t let you into the gate until about 45 minutes before the flight, so I sat in the holding area and had a Miranda apple soda while surfing the Internet. The flight to Nairobi was smooth and short. They even served a sandwich and fruit on a 45-minute flight! Immigration was easy and Kenya gave me a transit visa for $20. Then, I proceeded through to get my luggage and hired a taxi. The taxis were really nice and I drove through Nairobi in the rain to the Wildebeest Ecocamp where the girls were staying. I was amazed at the development in Kenya, especially the roads. Everything was paved!
I arrived at the camp and it was extremely cold and damp. The guide led me to our tent and I was totally amazed. It looked like a hotel room in a tent. The bathroom was gorgeous. I headed up to the main lodge and found the girls. They were hanging out with a bunch of people from other countries. The first thing I noticed was how amazingly cool this place was with a pool table, flat screen tv, and fast wifi! I was totally stoked. The girls had planned to go to dinner with another guest, Malcolm from Australia, so we hired a driver and headed out to dinner. The place we went was really nice and I had a pretzel with tomato sauce. At dinner, I realized that I was the only American among my new friends. After dinner, we went home and crashed. I slept like the dead.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...