Sunday, October 9, 2016

Things I Learned - Week 5

1. The embassy is well protected.
No need to worry about people barging into the embassy because it is so well guarded and gated that no one could penetrate. I had the opportunity to pass by the embassy last weekend when I was learning the bus system. It is seriously the most fortified place I have ever seen, but I guess it has to be since there have been serious security threats. I tried to get a pic of the flag, but it is hard with all of the walls. There are also these huge, black 3' tall pillars covering the front of the embassy. It is definitely intimidating. I need to mail my election ballot, so I will attempt to go on Tuesday. I couldn't get an appointment because there were no more left, so I may be turned away. Oh well, at least I will try. I used to go to the one in Uganda for pizza and doughnuts.
2. The bus system is intricate and elaborate. 
The bus system here is impressive. Everybody takes buses into the university from the city or east campus. I live on east campus, so I take one each day. They are relatively friendly and on time. Sometimes you get a rude driver or a bus that comes late, but overall, it is a really cool system. 
One of my friends also showed me the public bus and metro system. It helps that it is really easy. I now have a car for the bus and the metro, so I can just hop on and off whenever I want. 

3. Students are delightful.
The students I have in my classes are fantastic. I always love when the school year starts because as a teacher, you feel like you have a purpose and it is the basis for my existence. I live and breathe teaching. I absolutely love teaching and I know that it is what I was designed to do as a career. I have always connected with students and being here is no exception. The students are hard working and very concerned about doing well. They know how important a good education is and they don't take it for granted. I also had my first evaluation last week and the director said my relationships with students was "admirable" which made me feel like I am doing something right. I still have two more probation observations here before the month is out, but I look forward to the challenge. 

4. Grocery delivery is the only way to buy groceries.
I love, love, love grocery delivery. I have never bought food online until here...well, other than a few things online at Amazon. This grocery delivery tops everything. It takes me forever to order things because some things are only in Turkish, but I will get the hang of it. It costs $1 for delivery, but I usually tip a few more dollars. The guy brings it all the way up three flights of stairs, which is worth its weight in gold for me. You can literally buy everything...from fresh veggies/fruit to meat to hygienic products to cleaners. The only thing they don't have is alcohol, but I just buy a few bottles of wine when I am down near the grocery store. It is absolutely amazing. 

5. The university symphony rivals professional orchestras.  
I saw the Bilkent Symphony Orchestra yesterday and it was phenomenal. The cool thing is that the tickets are only 40 TL, which is like $13...crazy cheap. I guess the idea was that everyone would have access to the arts and could afford it. I was really impressed. I went with two of my colleagues from Bilkent and we had dinner before hand. I am so interested that I want to buy the whole season. They have a variety of shows and it looks really cool.
6. Hello pumpkin spice latte!
Pumpkin spice lattes have made their way to Turkey, which reminds me so much of fall! I love pumpkin spice everything (ask my former roommates) and I need it to get me through the temperature change. So, I am very excited to have several this week. 
Okay, that is all for this week. This week was a little boring, but I will try to add more adventures next week!

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...