Sunday, October 2, 2016

Things I Have Learned - Week 4

Well, I have completed a month here, a full week of teaching, and my first observation.

1. Patios are impressive here. 
Those of you that know me know that I hate being cold. I am always cold and I absolutely hate winter. In fact, when I lived with the boys, I had a heating blanket on my bed and a heated throw that I used every day because they house was so cold all of the time. Now, that I have my own apartment, I can keep it at any temperature I want. That being said, I don't really like to be outside once the temp drops below 60. But here, everything is outside. There is a patio with every restaurant and the patio is WARM! There are heaters and electric awnings that move when it starts to rain. It is truly impressive. I guess the reason there are so many patios is because every smokes here, so they can smoke and still be in the restaurant. It is so cool.

2. Technology is also impressive.
I love technology and I have seen some cool things here. Of course, there are projectors and computers in all of the classroom. I have a Ethernet connection in my apartment and good wireless modem. We also have internet in all of our offices and WiFi mostly everywhere on campus. Wifi is also available in almost every restaurant, bar, etc. So, I am always connected, which is good and bad. I think one of the coolest things I have seen was in Decathlon, a sports store here similar to Dick's Sporting Goods. I bought a workout bag, a lock, and a few other things there last weekend. They have this bin in front of the cash register and you put all of your things in there and then the price magically appears. I was waiting for the guy to scan everything and he said something to me in Turkish and I told him I didn't understand. Then, he pointed to the total. I said, "that's it" and he said, "yes" so I paid. It electronically adds it all up, you pay, and get an itemized receipt. Technology is definitely cutting edge here.
3. Evaluations are more intense.
Evaluations at home in education are really easy. I know things are changing, but in most cases over the past 16 years, it has been explaining what I am doing, checking a box, and then see you in four years. There is rarely must constructive feedback it literally seems like just something to complete. No one has ever questioned my teaching practices or asked how I was going to accomplish my objectives. I love many things about Bilkent so far, but the evaluation process is one of my favorites. We have three observations in the first 30 days, which is considered a "probation period." Prior to these observations, you have to write a detailed lesson plan, meet prior to and after the observation. The conversation with the director of our program and my head of department before my observation was incredibly helpful. The ladies caused me to think critically about my decisions on how to accomplish certain objectives. I loved it. In fact, I need it before each lesson! I thrive on people and I often need to talk through my ideas before I execute them. It just helps me to visualize things and feedback from others helps me to see things from a different perspective.

4. Students are very polite and interested in the U.S.
I have had amazing classes over the past few years, but I have had my share of difficult students. The students here at Bilkent are like a dream. I know this is just the honeymoon phase, but they are so polite and considerate. They seem to hold their teachers in high regard. The first example I saw of this was when I got on one of the crowded buses in the evening. I take a bus from my office to home (I could walk, but I am lazy and time is of the essence right now). The bus usually takes 15-20 minutes from main to east campus. The route is hilly with lots of speed bumps. Almost all of the students get off at the dormitories, so it is usually just me and a few other people left on the bus. This time when I got on the bus, it was really full and students had been to the grocery store so they were carrying a lot of items. One of the students got up and motioned for me to sit down. Once I sat down, I heard students trying to use all of the English they could with me and asked me where I was from. I told I was American and we chatted a bit. I don't think I have ever been given a seat on a bus before. Students also have really polite behavior in the classroom. They ask to enter the classroom when they are late and they are super polite and respectful. I am so impressed with their tenacity and eagerness to speak English and learn the information for the class. They also ask me about U.S. politics. One of the students ask me today if I can still vote while I am here. I thought it was really an interesting question. I told her about absentee voting and how I needed to mail my ballot. I love their curiosity and tenacity. We are educating the next generation of engineers, chemists, scientists, etc. I look forward to each class with them.
Check out that fashion 
Can you see the helicopters?
The campus is very beautiful, but it is right in the path of a helicopter training from one of the military bases, so you see/hear helicopters fly over many times a day. It makes me a little nervous, but most people don't even blink an eye and go on with their lives. The security on campus is also good, with many cameras and security guards everywhere. There is even a security guard in the library! I am thankful for all of the security, but I feel incredibly safe here.

5. I MUST learn the language. 
Turkish lessons started this week and I desperately need them. Most of the things on campus are fine, but I need Turkish for maintenance, any services, grocery store, cell phone store, bus, etc. In fact, the lady who checked me out at the grocery store asked for something and I couldn't figure it out and the someone translated that she wanted me to hand over my basket. I especially struggle with numbers. I try to look at the terminal every time I pay, but sometimes there is just not one there. Some people write it down or use a calculator to show me. Last weekend, at a local bar, I think the guy gave me a free glass of wine because I couldn't understand him. Oh well, I call that a win-win.
6. I guess I get to see a dentist. 
So, I was chomping on some delicious pretzel bits left over from my snacks I brought from home and somehow I broke a tooth. It was a tooth that is mostly metal filling and I guess whatever is left of my tooth is just too weak to support it. Therefore, I need to see a dentist, which is going to be interesting. Sorry for the pic.

7. Mail takes two weeks!
My mom sent a trial card to me to see how long it took to receive mail. It took a little less than two weeks. So, this is a plea for mail. I have a box all to myself, so it is really fun to find mail. I would especially like photos/pics. Feel free to send mail to me...and if you would like to put a few packets of Starbucks instant Pumpkin Spice Latte or Peppermint Mocha in the letter, that would be awesome!
Jamie Lynn Cardwell
Bilkent Üniversitesi
Blok J, Daire 12 Lojmanlari
TR - 06000
Bilkent/Ankara, Turkey

8. The food here is amazing, fresh, and abundant. 
I am consistently amazed with the food here. I do miss certain things, like peanut butter, chocolate chips, etc., but the food here is so fresh and amazing, that I don't really miss it too much. Despite the delicious food, I have actually lost a few pounds and I haven't been to the gym. I think it is all of the walking. Doesn't matter, I will take it!


I guess that is all for now. I hope you are well!

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...