Monday, June 8, 2015

Leaving On a Jet Plane...

Nothing get me more exciting than planning a trip! I love everything about it, from the packing to the last minute Target runs to putting my newspaper on hold. I love it all. I am a habitual list maker, so before going on a trip, there are so many lists all over the house. I also like to buy lots of gifts, so I am always running all over the place like a chicken with my head cut-off, trying to find the best, inexpensive gifts. I love picking out gifts for friends and my sponsor child. It is so much fun because I know what they like and what they need. I bought seeds for one of my friends who loves to garden. I bought t-shirts for some of my favorite former students. I bought lots of baby clothes and things for a few friends who are having babies. I bought clothes for my sponsor child. It is fun to buy things for people. It is seriously one of my favorite things.

I also did a lot of errands this week, such as going to the bank, dentist appointment, shopping, library, and packing up my classroom. It is funny the way people respond when you tell them you are getting ready to go to Africa. They always assume you are doing some mission work, but when I tell them I am just going for vacation, they are very confused. I mean, yes, I am working with an organization and visiting some schools, but I am not a missionary - far from it! I just go to reunite with my friends and disconnecting from the busyness and overwhelming consumerism here in the U.S.

I have planned an exciting itinerary this time and hope I get to see all of my friends. I am planning to catch up with my friends in Mukono this weekend and then head up to Kitgum. Kitgum is one of my favorite places. It is not easy to get there and reach it by a long bus ride, but it is worth every minute of the journey. One of my students is going to come down and ride up with me. I love Kitgum. It is hot, but the area is very peaceful and quiet. I also don't feel like a freak because people are used to seeing white people there because of all of the NGOs during the war.
After my time up north, I am going to head back down to Kampala and meet with one of my favorite authors. I want to do some editing work with her and she always has some amazing books for me. I can't wait to see her. Then, I will spend some more time with friends in Mukono before I head off to Rakai where I work with an organization called Rakai Orphans Hope Project (ROHP). I want to spend plenty of time there so that we can strategize about the organization and where we want to go in the future. Rakai is also quiet and easy going. There is a resort that I like there and I hope to relax a bit. We will also visit schools and homes of our sponsor children.

Then, it will be back to the U.S. where I will relax for a few days until dad and I head to the Grand Canyon. I am purposefully not taking my computer to Uganda, so that I can disconnect and relax a bit. I am going to read and live a lot of life while I am there. I may blog, but it depends on the wifi availability, if I post.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...