Monday, June 15, 2015

Days 1-5

I have been super disconnected and it has been glorious! I wrote this blog earlier, but I was not connected to wifi and it erased. I'm going to try to post periodically, but I will post the rest of my pics when I get home. My journey over was easier than normal with few delays. I did arrive about an hour later in Entebbe and of course my friends were anxiously awaiting me. After the Ebola checks and immigration, I found my luggage and my friends. It was so great to see them. I relaxed with Sam and Jenny for a few days while I recovered from the long journey. They took great care of me. 
On Saturday I hitched a ride with Sam and his team into Kampala to watch his team play a game an wait for my bus. The games are running late because of the rain, so we caught a boda to find a forex so I could change money. The money rate has increased here and I got UGX 3,157 to $1. You feel really rich when you exchange money here. Then, I went back to Wandegeya to watch the boys play. The won and it was so much fun to watch them play. 
After the game, we took another boda with my luggage through the streets of Kampala with my luggage an I only screamed once, okay maybe twice. Those drivers are nice, but they weave in and out of traffic and there are huge vehicles everywhere. I arrived at the bus park in plenty of time to find 
Eric waiting for me to accompany me on my journey. Eric teaches up north in Kitgu and he had agenda a language conference in Kampala. These bus trip are not for the faint of heart. They are 9+ hours with luggage in the aisles, very hot, cramped, and crowded. It is a very uncomfortable journey, but I was thankful that I was not alone in my misery.
We arrived in Kitgum at 6 am and Eric dropped me at my hotel. This is one of my favorite places because it is cheap, clean, and has hot water. It costs about UGX 52,000, which is $13 per day. After resting, I had lunch of "pork and chips" for UGX 10,000 ($3) and linked up with the guys for a walk through the town. 

We headed to a local hotel that was supposed to have wifi, but they didn't, so we played pool instead. 
Then, the guys brought me home and I prepared for bed. Tomorrow I get to see our former students in action at their schools. 

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...