Sunday, July 13, 2014

Out of Shape, Parties!

Out of Shape
I am out of shape. I have only gained a few pounds during my time in Africa, but my body has changed shape and gone soft. Seriously. In Africa, I walked a lot a ran a few times, but really didn't do much to challenge my body. Before I left, I was boxing 3 times a week, running at least 10 miles a week, training 2-3 times a week, and biking at least once a week. I lost muscle in my arms and legs and my middle seemed to grow. I can't fit into my size 8 jeans or dresses. I even bought new jeans to be more comfortable. I also can't run more than a quarter of a mile at a time, which really, really pisses me off. How is that possible after running 6 half marathons? All this is to say that I have to get in shape. I also saw these pics from the gay PRIDE parade and it upset me. Yes, I am petty, but I want to get back in shape and have my firm, hourglass figure.
So, I have started a full out assault on my exercise program. So here is my weekly routine:
boxing 3
running/walking 3
weight training 2
yoga 1-2
rest 1
I am trying to rest one day a week and would like to incorporate some biking soon. I just need to take my bike in to get serviced because the tires are flat. I will work on that next week. I am also sleeping 8 hours a day and trying to drink a lot of water. I have not attacked my food choices yet, but that is next. I am not focusing on weight loss yet, but that will come with better food choices and exercise. I just want to become strong again. I need to be patient, but I am not by nature a patient person. I would like to be in shape enough to run a half in October. We shall see.

Welcome Back Party
We had party last night and hosted about 30 people. It was nice and small. We grilled hamburgers, turkey hotdogs, brats, and mushrooms. We also had lots of chips, veggies, potato salad, pasta salad, and desserts. We always have a signature cocktail and the Singletons made a delicious summer drink with white wine, white soda, limeade, and strawberries. It was delicious and didn't last long! We had so much food and drink, but it all worked out well. I am still having a hard time adjusting to things here, especially the excess of everything. My heart is still very much with Uganda and they people I met there. I am so glad to be home, but the differences are still quite shocking to me. 
patio is ready for drinking

food!

signature cocktail 


notice the custom made apron by Natalie







From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...