Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pen Pal Program with Ritenour School District and Masanafu Village

I started thinking about the possibility of coordinating a penpal program between the kids here and the kids at home a few weeks ago. I thought maybe a few people would be interested, but I didn't really think that there would be SO MUCH interest. I have had 15 teachers from home indicate interest and two schools here who will be involved. So, today I headed to the primary school. My focus for today was to take pictures of all of the students and record their names. There were so, so many students everywhere. I would love to post them, but I took over 200 photos of kids today. It was mass chaos. I realized today that I can't really observe classrooms without students noticing me. Usually this involves pulling my hair, touching my skin, squeezing my arms, and yelling "mzungu" repeatedly until you wave. I struggled to take pictures of all of the students today because the kids were constantly bothering me. They are sweet, kind, and loving, but at some point, you get tired of people touching you. I can hardly wait to get the program up and running.

After refueling, we headed to the high school. Simon Peter roped me into teaching an English lesson about writing letters, so he took pictures while I taught. I've been to several primary and secondary schools with the intent to observe and I always end up teaching.

I hate writing on a chalk board and I always seem to have on dark clothes when I do. I have not seen one classroom with a white board or interactive board.
This was a senior 2 class, which is equivalent to freshman/sophomore level.



The students are so attentive and really want to improve.
 The students made clay pots in art class and so we had them pose with them.












This is the common lunch food here for students, posho and beans.



Overall, another good day. I can't wait to get started with the penpal program!!






From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...