Sunday, March 17, 2019

Cyprus and Amasra

Since I only have a few weeks left, I wanted to make sure I included Cyprus (the Turkish side) in my travels before heading back to the U.S. The flight is only about an hour, so I knew that I could do it in a weekend.

I booked a sea view at one of the hotels my colleagues recommended and asked for the highest floor. The hotel did not disappoint. They gave me the top floor and the hotel is located on a stunning piece of real estate with dramatic blue seas as far as the eye can see. I am fascinated by the water. I think it stems from the fact that I grew up in a land-locked state and I rarely saw the ocean. But the Mediterranean is my favorite. I can't get enough of the gorgeous, turquoise-blue water. It is just stunning and what I crave to be near when I am stressed or have too many plates spinning in the air. I don't even need to get in the sea, just being close to it is enough for me.
I had to change rooms after the first night because the bathroom was backed up and was leaking into my shower. So, they placed me on a lower floor with a gorgeous sea view. The pic to the left is that view.


The town of Girne is very small and easy to navigate. It was mostly tourists with a small harbor. People are very nice, but clearly rely on tourists for their income. I didn't venture out much except to the harbor and a few shops.
The sunsets are amazing from the balcony of my apartment, but they were even better here. I watched the sun set both nights and it was just glorious. I imagine I could just rent a place here for a month and spend my days swimming in the sea and reading in the afternoons.

I had a little work to finish, so I spent a few hours a day writing, but overall, it was very relaxing.
During my last full weekend here in Turkey, I decided to go to Amasra, a beautiful coastal city on the Black Sea about three and a half hours from Ankara by bus. The bus ride was fine, although not for the faint of heart because of the mountains.














From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...