Friday, August 26, 2016

Preparations are complete

I am moving across the world today to Turkey...holy moly. Although the past two weeks have slipped by, I am ready for this move. I have spent hours packing (or watching people pack my stuff), giving things to the Salvation Army and saying countless goodbyes. In fact, I am sick of goodbyes. I know I am leaving, but I will be back. If anything, I will be back during my vacation to visit. I am surrounded by amazing people and I don't every want to take that for granted. I have organized my going away events into themes...can you tell I am in my dissertation?

1. FAMILY 
I had two major events to say goodbye with family. One was with my immediate family and one was with the extended family. I think I am part African, so the extended family gathering included some of my good friends too. The event was on the Saturday after I got home from Uganda and hosted by my parents. I had a really hard time with jetlag after this trip and I am not sure why. I felt like sleeping and didn't have much energy. It lasted about a week and then I felt like myself again. My parents really prepared a lot and did everything for me.
 My mom made what seemed like a thousand jugs of tea, lemonade, and fruit punch. My parents made sloppy joes and bought chips and condiments. My dad had everything set up perfectly with several picnic tables, chairs, and even a tent. It was truly inspiring. I enjoyed seeing all of my family members and catching up with their lives.

My second family event was dinner with my immediate family (mom, dad, sister, brother in law, and niece). Since my dad is so picky, we decided to go to Edge Wild, which has decent beers on tap and American fare. We ate, laughed, and discussed how we are all going to stay in contact with each other. It was bittersweet and much needed time with our little family together.
cool journal from my mom 


2. WORK
I attended the first work happy hour last Friday, which was the official first week of the new school year. It was good to see new and old staff. I have had amazing coworkers over the past eleven years who have helped me get through so many life changes. I feel that coworkers can make or break your work environment. Mine have been amazing and so interested in my life.
I also visited my old classroom and the high school to see some of my students and check-in with everyone. It seems that things are moving right along and it was good to see everyone. They bought me Godiva chocolates and a card with very sweet messages. It is closure for a very good chapter in my life. As I drove away from the school, I realized that this is the end of an era. This is the end of my K-12 career for now. I'm not sure I will return to the classroom as a K-12 teacher, but I know that I will somehow be working with schools and supporting teachers.
3. GYM
I don't always appreciate the workouts at the gym, but I definitely appreciate the facility, people, and community. Most of my workouts usually involve cussing, grunting, sweating, and making deals with God. They are hard and I try to work hard. I am about 20 pounds heavier now than I was at my thinest, so the workouts feel even harder. But, I am in the gym, usually 3-5 times per week, working hard. Although I love seeing my friends and the eye candy at the gym, I actually go there to work out. I usually don't wear makeup and by the end of the workout, I usually resemble some sort of red food, like a tomato or lobster.

4. FRIENDS
I had the opportunity to see some wonderful friends who make me feel so loved. Some I have known most of my life and some are recent friendships. Either way, I feel loved and lucky to know so many different people. I have hardly paid for a meal this week because of the generosity of my friends. They have brought me cute, little gifts that I can take with me to remind me of our friendship together. I really wish I could put into words how I feel about them, but it is too overwhelming and emotional.
Kathy and I
Katherine and I
Steve and I
Strobecks, Singletons, me, & the Auteberrys
5. STUDENTS 
The students I have had over the past year at the International Welcome Center (IWC) are some of the best students I have had in my career. They are hard working, intelligent, sympathetic and loving. It didn't matter how many times I yelled at them, they were so loving and respectful towards me. I think we tried to create a supportive climate in our classroom and I feel that the kids really succeeded because of that climate. I had the opportunity to go and visit the IWC and it has EXPLODED! Last year we had 17 in the fall and 14 in the spring. This year, they have over 30 in both the middle school and high school program. They have a good variety now instead of one culture and/or language. It is such an exciting place to be! I was able to see some of my students and go out for ice cream with them.
Denilzon, Emmanuel, Elvis, Yibeli, & I

Josue, me, Yibeli, & Henry
Kelly & I 

Jefferson, Danny, & I
Yibeli & I
6. PACKING
I have dreaded packing and put it off to the last minute. In fact, Joe and Rodney kept asking when was I going to pack and I just kept putting it off. I have been piling up things for weeks. First, in my room and then downstairs. Finally, on Wednesday night, Rodney had pity on me and started packing my clothes. Rodney is an impressive packer. The clothes are neatly folded and seem to fit perfectly together. My intention was to pack four bags. I really thought that would be sufficient. Come to find out, I had to pack 6 bags and I think some might be over weight. I have called and called and called Lufthansa about the baggage policy. They allow two free bags and then it is $200 additional for each bag after the two. However, United Airlines only allows one. Therefore, it is possible that they may make me pay for the second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth bags. So, if you are counting, that is $900. I don't know what happened with the bag situation, but I know I am going to have to cough up some serious money before my flight. I know I probably should have gone through my bags and weeded out the extra things, but I just couldn't. If I am going there to live, I need to live. It just felt okay to take 20 pairs of shoes and 3 purses. After all, there are four seasons. That gives me a pass, right? Oh well, whatever, I have packed 6 bags and that is what I will take. Although I wish I could be one of those girls that doesn't need much, I like to be surrounded with all of my things. It makes me feel comfortable. So, I have 300 pounds of luggage...whatever!
bag #4 
Salvation Army Donation 
I have had an amazing two weeks at home and I am thankful for each and every experience. I truly feel like I am closing a chapter of my life and opening a new one. I am ready! See you on the other side.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...