Monday, July 25, 2016

Mukono, Uganda

It has been difficult to find wifi where I have been staying. The data that you buy is expensive and just works on my phone. I can post the blog from my phone, but it takes a lot of data, so I moved out to a nicer hotel to find wifi. Still, the wifi is slow, so I have selected only a few pics to post and I will post all when I get home. I like to write my blog offline and then I can just cut and paste and add pics. That is the key to saving your data. Hopefully, wifi will be much easier in Turkey.

I got up early on Friday morning (7/15) and made it to my flight on time. You never know how things are going to go on your way back to the airport, but in this case, the hotel was calling me and telling me the taxi was ready to take me. They were so incredible with all of the details. I arrived at the airport in plenty of time and made it to the gate. The gate was a little confusing and then my flight was delayed, so I decided to get some breakfast.

There were many good notification boards to near where I was sitting, so I saw when my flight was boarding. I made my way back to the gate and when I gave the agent my ticket to take the bus to my plane, he wrote something on it and said you have been upgraded to Business Class. I was super excited, but angry too that I had already eaten breakfast and now I was going to get on a flight with wonderful food and service. I found my seat, which was incredibly large with a huge blanket, pillow, toiletry bag, and reclining seat. The flight attendant immediately greeted me and offered different types of juices. I had lemon mint juice and it was divine. Then, she came around and offered and appetizer and full breakfast with a latte. I was so impressed. I ate my breakfast and then relaxed with a movie while under my thick blanket watching my personal tv screen. This flight was only five and half hours and I really wish it was the longer fourteen-hour flight, but I will take it! I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by Etihad Airlines.




When I arrived at the airport, Jenny and Sam were running late, so I collected my luggage and waited a few hours until they arrived. I guess a white girl waiting at the airport in Entebbe is quite a site and even some people took a picture with me. I always feel like a spectacle when I am here, which is why I often just stay in and relax with friends. When Jenny and Sam came, I met their little boy Jesse, who I last “saw” in Jenny’s tummy. He is super cute and it was so much fun to spend the week with him.

When I woke up on Saturday, Jenny surprised me with a rolex. A rolex is basically an omlet rolled into a chapatti. I enjoy them and Jenny knew that so she took special care to go get one for me. The hospitality here is crazy. Your friends will do anything for you, especially if you are a visitor.
Pic of rolex


This week, I stayed in and just relaxed at Jenny’s house. I struggled this week to get my sleep back on track. It always takes me about a week to get adjusted to the eight-hour time difference. I spent most of the nights starring at the ceiling or playing Candy Crush only to fall asleep about 6 a.m. and waking up at 10 or 11. I tried to force my body into sleep mode with drugs, but it just didn’t work this time. Oh well, hopefully it will get better next week.

On Sunday, I had a chance to travel with Jenny and Sam to watch a basketball game that Sam was playing in Kampala. I love going to watch basketball because it is such an event. People really enjoy it here and I like cheering on the local teams. In this case, Sam’s team lost, but it was fun to watch all the same.

I had the opportunity to catch up with some friends from UCU this week. It was nice to see Evangeline, Solomon, and Daniel. Each of them have so many things going on in their lives and it is good just to see them and be together even for a short time. Initially my SIM card was not working because the phone company had changed names, but I stopped by the store and got it working. I went shopping with Sam while Jenny was working. I carried Jesse for a while and people starred. In fact, Same heard someone say “Look at that man. He had a baby with a muzungu (white woman). I laughed. We also made burgers and fried potatoes on Thursday night. Ugandans are so fascinated by the way we prepare food, so I had a chance to show Jenny and Sam how to make burgers. They have been so hospitable and cooking for me each day and doing my laundry, so it was nice to cook for them.


Laundry is an interesting thing here. Very few people have washing machines here, so laundry is almost always done by hand. Jenny insisted on doing my laundry, so I watched her helplessly while she did all of it. Jesse tried to help, but I think he played in the water more than helping
Laundry is hard work here and I was so spoiled!

Seeing this baby "peeping"?

Jesse is learning early and preparing to be a good partner!

Tomorrow I will head up to Kitgum (near the border with South Sudan).


From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...