Monday, March 3, 2014

Latest Happenings

I've been crazy busy with observing school practice. This is my favorite boda driver, David. He works for UCU as security and he is a very careful driver. I have mastered sitting sideways, although I feel more comfortable sitting straight. See below for more information about school practice.



We celebrated a friend's birthday and I made a cake for her. We swam and enjoyed a wonderful meal. It was my pleasure to share in this celebration.






birthday girl, Anne
clearn bathroom

clean laundry
Every Thursday I have an amazing lady who cleans my apartment. She is like a ghost! I leave money on the table and then I come home and everything is clean and my refrigerator is stocked. Cleaning here is not easy and she HANDWASHES everything! I have no washing machine (most people don't) and she spends many hours washing my clothes.
sheets clean and bed made

clean dishes

clean stove

groceries


Sarah goes to the market for me and buys fruits and vegetables. This is not an easy job. She has to go around, haggle for food, and then carry it all back on a boda. she even puts everything away from me in the refrigerator.

pumpkins (these cost me about $1.50 total)


gorgeous avocados!


I have spent a lot of time over the past three weeks in observing student teachers. I have six schools and six student teachers to observe. I am supposed to observe them six times and they usually teach about an hour and twenty minutes, so I spending a lot of time in schools. It has been a very interesting experience for me. I hate getting to the schools, but once I get there, I enjoy it. Because there are no books, students copy many, many notes off of the board. The teachers waste a lot of time writing on the board when they could just make a copy. But if they don't have money to hire more teachers, they definitely don't have money to buy books.



Sorry, I can't figure out how to rotate this picture, but I wanted you to get the point of how the government publishes scores of the best and worst schools in Uganda. This is really no different than at home, but the publish STUDENT NAMES with the scores. Students are praised by their villages because of their scores.

We had a football game in Foundation Studies against Dunamis (Spirit FM) and we lost 3-1. We had great time and it was fun to watch the boys play. We enjoyed pizza after the game, which is a huge treat.
the spectators
S

the team 

the two teams together listening to the acting head of department
I guess that is all for now. I will be traveling over the next couple of weeks, but I will try to upload pics along the way. Hope you are all well.

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...