Friday, November 22, 2013

Primary 4 Visit

On Wednesday I went to St. Mary's Primary School to do an observation of the P4 class. I needed to do an observation for my class, but I was also really interested in seeing primary classrooms.
The students were learning independent/dependent clauses. Some things that surprised me:
  • When given a paper, the students draw margins and copy EVERYTHING off of the board. They are like robots.
  • There are at least 45 students in a classroom.
  • The students sit very close and share space peacefully.
  • The classroom is deadly quiet with the exception of call and response from the teacher. 
  • The teacher is the ULTIMATE authority. He/she checks EVERY paper and marks EVERY answer.


Some of the students have seen me around the school, but they are still very curious about me. I try to listen to them carefully and make sure I speak slowly.






















These are some pics of my students, Maggie and Beatrice. They are in my writing class. They are first year, first sem, education students.
 Hajara and Rosemary
I can't tell you how exciting it is to get packages from home. This one was from a teacher back home. She heard my cries for pumpkin spice latte instant coffee.  I was so excited that I made a cup within one hour of receiving the package!
This was a card from mom. She puts lots of pics of baby Ella in the card. It took about 10 weeks to get here, but it arrived. It seems that packages make it much more quickly than letter, which I find strange.
 Yep, awesome!
This is one of my favorite meals here, fried beef. There is also matooke (green steamed bananas) underneath the beef. Yummy!
 
I decided I wanted to make fish soup and invite a few friends over. We have access to a lot of decent fish here (and fruits and vegetables), so I wanted to make something fresh!

 I made no bake cookies and they were so yummy. Mom sent me cocoa, so I can make a lot of chocolate desserts now!

I bought this tilapia at the market for UGS 8,000, which is almost $3. I was so excited and it was absolutely delicious.

I guess that is all of the happenings for now. We will be starting exams soon and then it will be vacation time!

I can't believe Thanksgiving is coming next week. There is a Thanksgiving dinner for all of the North Americans, so I am excited to have some traditional food!!

From Teacher to Administrator

I have been an administrator now for about two years. Before that I taught for 18 years. It has been a difficult switch, to say the least be...